T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I hope Im in the right place, at last...
Im looking all over the net, to find information about Tshirt making. I would like to get started, but can't seem to find enough information.
I would like to start printing on Tshirts, not as a buisness, for now, but as a hobby. but I want to get fantastic results.
I bought these iron on transfer sheets, and thought it will give me good results. as you may guess, it didnt...

the only thing I managed to figure out, is that the only way for me to do so is by sublimation.
(am I right?) I am only a broke student, and that's why...

could you please connect me, or explain me how?
what do I have to know, before starting? will I be able to print on dark fabrics?
what kind of a printer do I have to buy? A digital one? do I have to change its ink to sub-dye by myself?
how about presses? are they absolutly needed? or is it possible for me to just iron the pattern?

what kind of paper do I have use?
I found a very cheap printer, which is written under sublimation printers... epson C91... the price is about 200$... is it worth it?

thank you for any help!

·
Banned
2,512 Posts
Being you are a student with limited funds and new to dye sublimation I would suggest holding off on making shirts yourself. Although it can appear to be easy it can be difficult to master. Just to get started with printer, paper, ink, heat press, blank shirts you are pushing $1,000 on the low end. So many people start off in this thinking it is so easy and do not have the right expectations and end up getting frustrated and quit. Dye sublimation would be an expensive hobbie for a college student.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok... thank you!
but I would like to start anyway... is there a cheaper way to do this? like, I dont know, digital printing?
how about these questions I asked?
- I found a dye-sub printer for 200$. is it possible to iron the pattern?
I am an artist (mostly a drawer) and ever since my physics degree I realy miss art. i figured that printing designs on shirts will be my way to go.
I would really be greatfull for some more information...
and this printer I was writing about, is it worth it's price?
thank you very much... your answer is probably the reasonable one, but Im not going to give up... thats a dream I must try...
thanks again!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Shmone!

You can start with reading all you can digest about dye-sublimation here: Dye Sublimation - T-Shirt Forums and here: dyesub.org

As Mark pointed out - it's not a cheap decorating method by any means, especially for a hobby!

In a nutshell:
You would need a dedicated printer with dye-sublimation inks, sublimation paper, sublimation-friendly substrates and a heat press. Home iron is not a viable option in this particular case: for dye-sublimation to work you would need to press the design on a shirt at 400F for about 45+ seconds with even pressure.

You will not be able to print on cotton (or any other natural fabrics) as dye-sublimation only works on polyester and polymer-coated surfaces. Dye-sublimation inks do not bond with natural fibres, so if you would want to use a cotton/poly blend t-shirts, the design will look faded/distressed/"vintage". The higher % of cotton in the blend - the more faded look you will get.

You will not be able to print on dark fabric - dye-sublimation procees is essentially DYEING the design into the fabric; it's impossible to dye a dark garment into any lighter colour.

If you want to go with dye-sublimation, my suggestion would be to find a printer nearby who can do it for you so you can concentrate on creating designs and selling the shirts :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
- I found a dye-sub printer for 200$.
and this printer I was writing about, is it worth it's price?
What is the brand of the printer? Is it inked-up? How old is it?

With dye-sub printers you will find that inks are going to cost you a lot. And if not used on a regular bases, the printer will clog. A lot.

Investing into a heat press, not a printer, may be a better option for you. Then you can outsource transfer printing, but press them yourself as requires. You can get different types of transfers done for different types of t-shirts: there are companies supplying dye-sublimation transfers, plastisol transfers, rhinestone transfers etc.

thank you very much... your answer is probably the reasonable one, but Im not going to give up... thats a dream I must try...
Sure you must not give up on a dream, but you may want to re-think your strategy on how to achieve it :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys, very much...
the information was very helpfull...
so, if I understand correctly, in order to print on dark fabrics, dye-sub is not an option. is there any difference between dye-sub and digital printings?

so if one would like to print on both dark and light fabrics, what way will it be possible?

is there any way that I can see the difference between the methods? I mean, seeing an example for every one?
about the printer- I dont know anything more then it's price... thank you!!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
is there any difference between dye-sub and digital printings?
Depending on who's talking, sometimes they are the same thing :) Sometimes digital printing might mean inkjet heat transfers or Direct to Garment printing with a DTG machine ($10,000+)

so if one would like to print on both dark and light fabrics, what way will it be possible?
- Screen printing
- inkjet heat transfers for light t-shirts (like JPSS) and inkjet heat transfers for dark t-shirts (sometimes called opaque transfers)
- plastisol transfers
- embroidery
- DTG
- heat transfer vinyl
Be sure to read these 2 topics about the various differences between the printing methods:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t37985.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

is there any way that I can see the difference between the methods? I mean, seeing an example for every one?
If you search the forum for "pics", you'll find different photographs that members have uploaded for the different printing processes.

dye sub pics related topics at T-Shirt Forums

jpss pics related topics at T-Shirt Forums

vinyl pics related topics at T-Shirt Forums

screen printing pics related topics at T-Shirt Forums

plastisol transfer pics related topics at T-Shirt Forums

1 - 9 of 9 Posts