T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking into making my own t-shirts from home part time (have nursing school). I have made shirts in the past using a screen printer shop but I just want to be able to make them on demand and not massive orders. My aim to to achieve screen printing style results, mostly single colors on my own. I know I will need a cutter and a heat press machine, but what else. I am working with a budget under $1,500. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the apparel decorating business. Take a look at some of the sponsor sites. Imprintables is where I got my,
GCC expert 24 lx cutter (only because I contour cut stickers and other printed materials)

For a heat press find one in your budget. A decent starter shouldn't run more than 300-400. Check out the Deal pro-world has.

I think for under 1,000 you can at least get started. Use the rest for good design and cutting software, I prefer Winsignpc because I also do rhinestoning.

The different vinyls out there all have great pros and cons. My overall favorite is the siser brand for its soft feel.

You will find that with a heat press and vinyl cutter, you can do more than just shirts. Have fun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the apparel decorating business. Take a look at some of the sponsor sites. Imprintables is where I got my,
GCC expert 24 lx cutter (only because I contour cut stickers and other printed materials)

For a heat press find one in your budget. A decent starter shouldn't run more than 300-400. Check out the Deal pro-world has.

I think for under 1,000 you can at least get started. Use the rest for good design and cutting software, I prefer Winsignpc because I also do rhinestoning.

The different vinyls out there all have great pros and cons. My overall favorite is the siser brand for its soft feel.

You will find that with a heat press and vinyl cutter, you can do more than just shirts. Have fun.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am debating between the expert 24 and the expert 24 lx. Whats the difference and which would you recommend, money not being an issue? Is 15 x 15 heat press a good size for tee shirts? I am looking at Proworld since they are locate very close to me and I can pay them a visit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Expert LX is the same as the Expert, but has the optical system to read registration marks. This is used
for contour cutting. This is the ability to cut around the outline of an image. You can find all kinds of videos on you tube showing this. Just look up contour cutting, or print and cut.
AS for the heat press,yes a 15x15 would do,but bigger is better. The 16x20 is the size most will end up with, if not now in the future. Just remember you will loose an inch or more of usable area. The platens don't get as hot around the edges. You will have a usable area of about 13.5"x13.5" . You can press in sections,to handle larger transfers. This requires a little more work,and practice to do it right. If you can afford it, get a 16x20. If not go with the 15x15.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.