T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won 6 Qts of Rutland ink in an auction on ebay without thinking about the color decision. Now I have to shoose fast. Can someone help me decide what would be some good, all 'round, beginner colors?

I know I want white and black, but should I go for RGB? or CMYK? I see that in the list, they have TS Process cyan, magenta, and yellow. I assume this is for CMYK. But the seperation software I'm trying (QuikSeps) seems to seperate to RGB.
Which is more common:RGB or CMYK? Should I even care right off?
Should I even bother thinking of RGB or CMYK just yet? Maybe getting red, green, black, white and a couple fun glitter or reflective bases/colors would serve best for starters?

This link goes to the auction. They list the availabel colors there:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rutland-Screen-print-printing-ink-Quart-sized-lots-NEW_W0QQitemZ7615787286QQcategoryZ46737QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can someone shed some experience on this?
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I haven't heard of RGB being used outside of computer graphics, so if process colour is something you're interested in go with CMYK.

If you're just starting out you may want to stick with spot colour though, and just get some basics (red, white, black, etc.).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
True.

I prefer mixing standard primaries because it's what I'm used to, but if you have a stronger print background CMYK may suit you better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I decided on CMYK along with some white, bright red, and kelly green, so it seems we'll have plenty of options to play with.
Thanks for the input on this.
So, is the CMYK screen printing concept the same as "normal" CMYK printing, in that each color goes on in layers and somehow magically combine to make the desired colors?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
PaintMonkey said:
So, is the CMYK screen printing concept the same as "normal" CMYK printing, in that each color goes on in layers and somehow magically combine to make the desired colors?
My understanding is that it's quite a bit more complicated in screenprinting than in print, but to be honest it's not something I'm experienced in.

There are some articles out there if you google for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts