T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've found that I think in terms differently from some. I prefer to view data in relationships, to see their effects on eachother.

Thus I ask you, "What are the processes of the t-shirt business, from both the operator and consumer / customer perspective"?

A process is, by definition:
  1. A series of actions, changes, or functions bringing about a result.
  2. A series of operations performed in the making or treatment of a product.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples (what I have so far):
shipping (operator and consumer perspective)
purchasing (both perspectives)
post-purchase (both perspectives)
inventory mgmt. (operator)
creation (operator)
artist recruitment (operator)
record keeping (operator)
banking (operator)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any further help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
282 Posts
The processes I focused on identifying and defining are my manufacturing and distribution processes since I am performing those processes "in house" with the wife. I've refined my manufacturing process after making my first batch of shirts and have found that generally I'm learning a lot as I go.

I plan to wing it when it comes to my back end ordering processes once I find out how my shirts sell. (which will hopefully be very soon... :) ) And then establish an ordering process once I gather enough data.

Web and shirt design has just been ad hoc, but it can be because I'm doing it myself and learning as I go at my own pace. (Which is slower then I'd like at the moment... but what are you going to do?) :)

I've identified the places where I intend to market and promote my gear and will systematically approach that issue when my website allows people to buy shirts from me online.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just noticed that. Are you still in the testing phases / not actually open for business yet? I couldn't figure out how one would purchase your shirts... but your probably still testing I assume.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Can you share the processes that you've defined so far (how you'ved broken them down) so we can get an idea of what you're looking for?

Or are you just looking for the "names" of the processes?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of right now, I'm just determining the general processes themselves. Then I will break them all down into various steps and "if so, or if nots". Similiar to that of tree diagrams. Then I'm going to take the diagrams, now in step form, determine the action I must take, and try to improve that action (see if there is an area I could make more efficent, do this, or perhaps combine or skip completely).

I know it sounds a bit difficult, but it's not as complicated as it might seem. ;)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
What "section" of the t-shirt business are you getting processes for?

The process list will vary whether you are a custom printer, retailer, wholesaler, starting a new line of shirts, etc.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me (the operator), and for the consumers. Though with the consumers, I'm limiting it to the processes which I have a degree of control over, somehow (direct or indirect).

I think that's what you were asking. I'm starting a brand new business, but I have those processes worked out already (such as the legal, taxes, forms necessary, etc.)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
For me (the operator)
I guess my question should have been "what kind of operator are you"?

A t-shirt retailer? A t-shirt wholesaler? A screen printer? A designer with a new line of t-shirt designs? A heat press printer? A direct to garment printer? Opening a retail t-shirt storefront (brick and mortar)?

Each of those business operators has different processes that they would need. I hope that makes sense :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, I see now.

I'm going to be crowdsourcing my artwork (think threadless), and outsourcing for my plastisol transfers / heatpress. The resulting shirts will be sent out from my home. The line will be new, and I will be selling them via the web.

That about sums it up in rough terms I guess. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts