T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im just getting started up. me question is just what do i need in order to sell my shirts without the possibility of any negative legal actions. I want to turn a profit and make sure that my designs are not stolen or re-created.
Thanks for any feedback. im sure it will be helpful.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
You need to register your business with your state. You can also apply for a federal tax ID number, this will help you apply for wholesale accounts and be tax exempt when you purchase blank shirts. You will also need a resellers permit, which you can get through your state. You will be responsible for collecting and reporting sales tax, so read up on those forms. You can do a Google search for 'starting a business in (your state),' you will find several good resources to make sure you are not missing anything.

To protect your brand, you can trademark your brand name or logo. To protect your designs, you can copyright them. Neither of these are required to do business, though. And neither really prevent anyone from stealing or recreating your brand or designs. They just give you a legal leg to stand on in court. There are plenty of previous threads about this, so you can check those out to see if it makes sense to federally register right away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts