T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is finally my first post to the forums although I've been reading for a couple of years now. Just finished getting all my equipment for my shop and I am stuck at the "what brand of ink to buy" stage. From what I've seen this is the list of water-based ink brands that are worth mentioning:

Matsui
Rutland
Wilflex
Union
Aquaset
Sericol
Spechtrachem
Permaset
Nazdar
QCM
Excalibur

From what I've read Matsui, Permaset, and Nazdar are the most popular but Excalibur and Union make great inks as well.

What are everyone's opinions on these? Let's finally get all the information in one thread!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it seems Matsui is what everyone likes to use. I would have thought that Wilfex, Excalibur, and Union would have been top choices as well. I say this because Matsui has 3 different lines of WB ink you need to be able to reach the range of shirts you might want to print on... Seems like overkill....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havnt tried them all, but I like the Fuji sericol tex charge.

I heard Sericol has good inks, but they seem hard to find. I can't find a distributor in the northwest PA region for the life of me. I'm still having an internal debate on what system to start with - more a function of ease of use and quality than price at this point.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I heard Sericol has good inks, but they seem hard to find. I can't find a distributor in the northwest PA region for the life of me. I'm still having an internal debate on what system to start with - more a function of ease of use and quality than price at this point.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far.

You buy them direct. Call up Fuji's textile division. If you want the number of their west coast rep PM me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is anybody using UNICO WB inks? We using their Pastisol many years.
My experiences so far: very handy to print and keeps the screen open.

But for me the main thing is durability.
So let me make a rather question:

What brand stays longest? :eek:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use spectrachem and have always had really good luck with it. I don't generally print waterbased often for t-shirts, but that is what I prefer. Printing on paper/posters is really great with this stuff, so whenever I have the opportunity to print flat stock I go for this ink as well.

I have had some experience with the other inks but I think it really comes down to which ones you have the best luck with, and once you find an ink system that works for you, there is no reason to change it. I had really good luck with it so I'm biased towards it, but many of the others (Matsui specifically) get really high praise from other printers as well.

If possible, I'd suggest getting a few of each in small quantities and seeing which one gives you the best results. Then determine if price/accessibility makes it worthwhile to continue using as your main ink-line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the response, I went with a pretty nice Matsui kit from Jessup Inc. This has all the colors, binders, and discharge items. I figured since Matsui was generally mentioned by most people I would give it a shot. Have yet to see a bad review on it. I will update with how easy it is for a beginner to get going with it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have heard good things about Matsui, but I personally haven't used them. I use Permaset Inks and I get them direct from Armadillo Art. They have two styles of inks. Their standard inks are used for light colored garments. Super easy to print with. Their supercover inks are a little trickier to use because of dry up but I run an eco-friendly shop so I don't use discharge. Clients love the soft feel of waterbased inks, so your on the right track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.