T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the thread Sizes and their % in your totals:

T-BOT said:
I think most would prefer to press/make the shirt them selfs. IT'S SO EAZY. It take less than a MINUTE and you get a PROFESSIONAL high quality shirt like your competitor brands have or better.

Investing in a heat press becomes a company asset and its a small price to pay for the GREAT selection you can offer your clients.

There is no better way for a start up that needs selection.
IF your designs dont sell, you are not out of thousands of dollars with PRE-PRINTED Shirts. :)
In that thread there are a few people talking about plastisol transfers as being cheap, easy, and attractive. Just how cheap, easy, and attractive are they? What sort of buy in is there for the equipment and supplies (not factoring in shirts)? How does the quality compare to silk screening? I ask because I've only know silk screen and CafePress-style heat transfers and I'd love a more flexible approach to printing and selling shirts.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
hi-ya.
plastisol transfers are screen printed on paper.
so, basically you are just paying for the screen printing alone.
so a transfer sheet that is 12x18, you can fit (yield/gang) 6 normal size chest designs on the sheet.
this makes each design you make cost effective.
you buy a heat press and apply them yourself to t-shirts as you need.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T-BOT said:
hi-ya.
plastisol transfers are screen printed on paper.
so, basically you are just paying for the screen printing alone.
so a transfer sheet that is 12x18, you can fit (yield/gang) 6 normal size chest designs on the sheet.
this makes each design you make cost effective.
you buy a heat press and apply them yourself to t-shirts as you need.
Woah, not at all what I expected. I'm glad I asked. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
PvN Captain said:
Woah, not at all what I expected. I'm glad I asked. Thanks. :)
I understand, it's not for everyone. :)

wow! didn mean to shock you. :eek: :D

don't get me wrong, All Major Brands use Plastisol Transfers one time or another, from Barby to Wal-mark. Why ? because IT WORKS.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
All Major Brands use Plastisol Transfers one time or another
I don't think that's true. Not "All" major brands will have used plastisol transfers.

Maybe plastisol inks (either by direct screen printing to the shirt or via plastisol inks on transfer/carrier paper), but that's a big statement that ALL major brands use plastiol transfers at one time or another. Which just isn't true.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
well, let me see. :)

nike, adidas, harley, GM, chevy, ford, the beatles (a lot of music and show biz), disney, USS ramage :D , and a gazzilion others... i'll stop now.

any that come to mind that don't ? :) :p :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
nike, adidas, harley, GM, chevy, ford, the beatles (a lot of music and show biz), disney, USS ramage , and a gazzilion others... i'll stop now.

any that come to mind that don't ?
Sure: threadless, tshirthell, etc. Lots of major brands don't use plastisol transfers.

Just because some (or a lot) do, doesn't mean they ALL do.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Rodney said:
Sure: threadless, tshirthell, etc. Lots of major brands don't use plastisol transfers.
thats it ? 2 only ?
are you 100% sure they have never used Plastisol Transfers ?
And who is to say they will never use plastisol transfers ? (if they are not already ;) ).

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
thats it ? 2 only ?
are you 100% sure they have never used Plastisol Transfers ?
It would be impossible to list ALL brands that don't :)

Yes, I'm sure they have never used plastisol transfers (I talked to the guy from tshirthell a few days ago about it actually).

My point is, and I'm sure you can agree, that your statement of "ALL major brands use plastisol transfers" is just too widesweeping to be true.

That's all. I'm not saying plastisol transfers are bad, they are just not used by ALL major brands. Sure, maybe "a lot" do. But saying ALL just seems like an unnecessary over exaggeration.

I hope that makes sense so we can move on :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Rodney said:
It would be impossible to list ALL brands that don't :)

My point is, and I'm sure you can agree, that your statement of "ALL major brands use plastisol transfers" is just too widesweeping to be true.

I hope that makes sense so we can move on :)
yes I agree. :eek: :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Rodney, does TSHell farm out thier screenprinting or do it in house. Did the TSHell person explain why they dont use plastisol transfers if they only print on demand? I would think it would be the way to go for those one and two color designs. Most of the gear they offer is quite simple in design.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
TSHell farm out thier screenprinting or do it in house. Did the TSHell person explain why they dont use plastisol transfers if they only print on demand?
They farm it out. I think he said his issue with plastisol transfers was the quality. He prefers the direct screen printed to garment method for his customers.

I had hoped to get an interview to post on the site, but it didn't pan out. He's read a few of the threads here though.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Rodney said:
They farm it out. I think he said his issue with plastisol transfers was the quality. He prefers the direct screen printed to garment method for his customers.

I had hoped to get an interview to post on the site, but it didn't pan out. He's read a few of the threads here though.
personally i like THell, mind you I would like them even more if they used some plastisol transfers made in Canada. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there any significant quality difference between traditional direct-to-shirt screenprinting or a plastisol transfer? I read through the first half of The Big Plastisol Transfer Thread and saw nothing concerning overall quality...
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
baccaruda said:
Is there any significant quality difference between traditional direct-to-shirt screenprinting or a plastisol transfer? I read through the first half of The Big Plastisol Transfer Thread and saw nothing concerning overall quality...
I'd like to hear more about this as well, from people who have had more experience and tried both heavily.

From all that I've heard so far though, there really isn't a significant decrease in quality when using plastisol compared to screen printing. Plastisol tends to give a softer hand as well.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
I had hoped to get an interview to post on the site, but it didn't pan out.
That's a real shame, I'd been looking forward to it. Do you have enough material to write an article about them, or was the issue more that he decided he didn't want you to do that?

Rodney said:
He's read a few of the threads here though.
Hopefully not connected to the above ;)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
baccaruda said:
Is there any significant quality difference between traditional direct-to-shirt screenprinting or a plastisol transfer? ....nothing concerning overall quality...
Thanks,
Andy
not really.
you just need good quality transfers. With GLUE. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts