T-Shirt Forums banner

What all should I learn? (Apprentice at a Promotional/Apparel Company)

1264 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  JubiPrintsDesign
Hello all

I just started an apprenticeship today at promotional/apparel company. I have several years of experience in illustration & design and some basic knowledge of the screen printing process.

My question is what are some highly desirable & in demand skills that I should try to get under my belt?

I got a really great response from my illustrations at MAGIC in February 08. Also, people from several print shops have told me I could do very well for myself if I can master separating artwork.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Research halftones - what dot size works best on the different mesh screen sizes, how to blend colors to get the desired effect (like flames), and contrast in photographs (too much dots versus not dark enough). Always remember: what looks good on a computer screen may not actually turn out as good on a screenprinted shirt. You have to know what to do and when to do it.
Research halftones - what dot size works best on the different mesh screen sizes, how to blend colors to get the desired effect (like flames), and contrast in photographs (too much dots versus not dark enough). Always remember: what looks good on a computer screen may not actually turn out as good on a screenprinted shirt. You have to know what to do and when to do it.
Very good suggestion. Although there are softwares for this process, it is always good to have knowledge on how to separate films for process printing. This also helps when you are designing the graphic, so that you know what will work and what won't.
Be a sponge and soak up everything you possibly can. If they will teach it all to you then learn all that you can. You never no it may all come in handy when and if you decide to step out on your own.
Cool, I appreciate the input.

I am learning how to do separations in both Photoshop and Illustrator plate by plate. Picking up some other useful skills as well.

Another question, as far as t-shirt artwork goes, what is better to have, a tradmark style that one excels with or knowing many styles fairly well & being adaptable?
If it's one thing I've learned with artwork it's this: Just because YOU like the design, doesn't mean the customer likes the design. You may have a "trademark" style you like to use on your artwork, but the customer is not looking at that. There's been countless times where I've completed what I thought was a masterpiece, and the person who I was designing it for didn't like it at all, and would much rather go with something simple that came out of a clipart library. As frustrating as it is at times, you are there to please the customer and give them what they want, not what you believe looks the best.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.