T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Can I get some tips?

How on earth when printing with plastisol inks do you guys go about keeping your work area clean? I find myself constantly grabbing kitchen roll to wipe my hands.

From the moment I take the lid off the container there is ink over my fingers, and then so on from knifing it onto the screen and then squeegeing.

How do you guys get around this?

Also, do you guys stir all your inks before using them?

· Registered
537 Posts
I use medical gloves while I am handling ink. After I have stirred the ink and put it on the screen the gloves come off.
I use gloves too, if I get ink on them it wipes off real easy too, and I don't end up with dry skin and chemicals on my hands.
You will get used to working with the ink and how not to get it on everything, beleave me i had it everywhere when i first started.
I use the nitrile gloves they seem to last longer than vinyl.
just remember to clean up any stray ink so it doesn't end up on a item that could be expensive. I also keep a spray can of cleaner to remove it from shirts just in case.

· Registered
340 Posts
with time, it will get better. In the beginning, I had ink places it had no business being, and I AM a clean freak!!! It took about a year to get it under control.

The most important thing to keep things clean is to obey one simple rule:

IF YOU MAKE A MESS CLEAN IT UP RIGHT AWAY!!!

pierre

· Registered
503 Posts
I use medical gloves while I am handling ink. After I have stirred the ink and put it on the screen the gloves come off.
I will second that
When loading ink try gloves and I always put a scrap shirt down when loading ink and always wipe down frame of screen and squeegee when starting up .
Time spent is time saved

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
973 Posts
The other thing I saw somewhere that I do is have a dirty side of the press and clean side... meaning I have my space set up so on one side of my press is all my inks with a bench to work on... I mix all inks and work with all the inks from this area. The inks never leave that bench. I load the screen and everything from that side. Then my printing side is on the other side of the press away from the ink...

I never had a problem getting ink everywhere unless I got it on my hand from a screen during production, then I would unknowingly transfer it to the shirt, or other things... luckily I noticed quickly... now I have developed a sort of ocd that I always check my hands before moving to remove the shirt ha ha..

I found my biggest problem was putting to much ink in the screen at one time!!! If there is to much it comes up the squeegee and gets your hands... you need a surprising small amount... at least for me it seems that way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.