T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been a member to this site for some time now and have learned a lot by reading other posts, thanks to all of you who keep this a great information source. I have been working on starting an organic cotton tee shirt company for some time now and just got our logo shirts in today so I thought today would be a good time to put our name out there and show our designs/site www.whataday.org . Our shirts are private label and we hope to be selling in small outdoor retail shops soon.

Suggestions, compliments, concerns and questions are always welcome. Other than that good luck selling shirts to everyone that reads this post!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello I am an amateur at designing t-shirts but a professional consumer at buying what I like. I think your concept is great and your designs peaceful and memorable.
The only negative for me is that I could not afford your t-shirts, but thank goodness for you everyone isn’t broke like me.
Wishing you much success.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks badalou, starprince and rodney for your comments. They are much appreciated. Not sure who else out there sells organic cotton shirts but I have been talking with www.greenforgood.com about having my shirts on their site. Its more of a consignment thing, but I think its a good start to building your brand identity. If anyone has any other suggestions about organic online retailers that might be interested let me know!!

Rodney as for our navigation bar, we have struggled to find an a simple and fuctional way of doing it. Do you have any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Rodney as for our navigation bar, we have struggled to find an a simple and fuctional way of doing it. Do you have any recommendations?
I think simple text links (maybe styed with css to look like buttons) would work and be just as effective.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nifty concept, nice art, well-designed site. I'm assuming you're still building it; there are no prices and "add to cart" buttons on the page showing the various designs. I'll be watching to see how you guys do; definitely rooting for you!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looks like you did your research to find your niche market. I don't see many shirt companies with the same theme which is good. You keep the same message throughout from the cotton you use to the designs.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Could you elaborate what "Our "Original Collection" consists of 100% organic cotton, dyed with biodegradable water based inks
(PVC free). The process we use in developing our shirts is unique in that it minimizes design fading and eliminates shrinking" is?

Water-based screenprinting?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
monkeylantern said:
Could you elaborate what "Our "Original Collection" consists of 100% organic cotton, dyed with biodegradable water based inks
(PVC free). The process we use in developing our shirts is unique in that it minimizes design fading and eliminates shrinking" is?

Water-based screenprinting?
Our "Original Collection" is simply our first line of shirts, nothing more nothing less. 100% organic cotton means that our cotton was grown without the use of pesticides/herbicides or fertilizers making it a sustainable option for clothing. We use water-based inks in our screen printing instead of PVC screen printing (which has many negative impacts on the environment.) The process is the same as traditional screen printing, but instead of using plastisol we use low impact dyes that don’t fade when washed. Our products are garment dyed not piece dyed which virtually eliminates the shrinking.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
webby said:
Our "Original Collection" is simply our first line of shirts, nothing more nothing less. 100% organic cotton means that our cotton was grown without the use of pesticides/herbicides or fertilizers making it a sustainable option for clothing. We use water-based inks in our screen printing instead of PVC screen printing (which has many negative impacts on the environment.) The process is the same as traditional screen printing, but instead of using plastisol we use low impact dyes that don’t fade when washed. Our products are garment dyed not piece dyed which virtually eliminates the shrinking.
Very nice :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
webby said:
100% organic cotton means that our cotton was grown without the use of pesticides/herbicides or fertilizers making it a sustainable option for clothing.
Cotton is not a sustainable plant. Obviously organic cotton is better for the environment than the alternative, but cotton is a water hungry and erosion causing plant - when grown at production levels the plant itself is inherently environmentally unfriendly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
webby said:
Not yet, I am working with Wild Oats right now and just had our first booth there last weekend. However I will contact Whole Foods soon.
I have the contact info in the Northeast if you need it.

Aimee

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solmu said:
Cotton is not a sustainable plant. Obviously organic cotton is better for the environment than the alternative, but cotton is a water hungry and erosion causing plant - when grown at production levels the plant itself is inherently environmentally unfriendly.
Good point, I take it you use organic cotton for your tees knowing that its better for the environment?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
webby said:
I take it you use organic cotton for your tees knowing that its better for the environment?
Unfortunately I don't. I'm yet to find a supplier of organic cotton t-shirts I'd be happy to use. I'm hoping to get large enough one day to custom manufacture (long way off), in which case I'd be looking at alternative fibres.

This is a really angst ridden industry to be in if you care about the environment. Other than the cotton issue, screenprinting uses a lot of water. I'm too small to be able to do much about it at the moment (i.e. I can't afford good water recycling systems, etc.), so all I really do it contribute to the problem and feel really bad. It's not a very good solution really.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Especially out in Australia Solmu, I hear it's quite difficult to find organic and fair trade there.

I guess the only thing everyone can try and do is stuff like use a sustainable electricity company (those exposure lights, flash curers and tunnel dryers take their toll) - we use ecotricity here in the UK, most of their energy comes from wind farms. Again, not sure how easy or expensive this is anywhere else...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts