T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
What is everyone using for an icc profile when using artanium inks with this printer. I have searched but have come up empty.
Sawgrass never supported that printer with Artanium, only Sublijet inks and Power driver. Conde may have have an ICC using Artanium, I don't know, but you would have to buy there inks.

The closest 4 color printer for Artanium bulk 4 color inks would be the WF30. On the WF1100 Sawgrass switched the K inks so that WF1100 profile is for the "Jet Black" K and not the original Artanium K.

Sawgrass Technologies - Technical Support - ArTainium - Epson Workforce 30

That might get you by using the WF30, it may not be as exact if using one specific for the 7010, but both are using 4 colors and the same base Epson inks, so sub inks should be close between all 3 of those models.

I once used Artanium inks (original K inks) with the WF1100 using the WF30 profile, it worked well.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I did find that info somewhere as well. I guess I'll try that route, as I'm planning on using bulk artanium ink with refillable carts. It's either that or switch over to the Ricoh system. Sadly though you have to buy the carts only for the Ricoh, as they don't have a bulk refill option that I know of.
I've heard that Cobra inks sell a sublimation (high temp) & ICC with bulk ink/refills for the 7010, so I'll check that option out also. If you know anything on that please let me know.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Thanks Mike. I did find that info somewhere as well. I guess I'll try that route, as I'm planning on using bulk artanium ink with refillable carts. It's either that or switch over to the Ricoh system. Sadly though you have to buy the carts only for the Ricoh, as they don't have a bulk refill option that I know of.
I've heard that Cobra inks sell a sublimation (high temp) & ICC with bulk ink/refills for the 7010, so I'll check that option out also. If you know anything on that please let me know.
I have seen a CIS bulk system for Ricoh on Ebay, I don't know how good they are, then the other issue could be getting bulk sublimation inks that work in the Ricoh.

The carts on the larger Ricoh are much larger than Epson so in theory you might not really need a bulk system on the Ricoh. And there would be an advantage having pre-filled Ricoh carts from SG in that you don't have to worry about maintaining a bulk system and keeping a good prime on it. But of course the SG Ricoh carts are expensive.

I use Cobra currently.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen a CIS bulk system for Ricoh on Ebay, I don't know how good they are, then the other issue could be getting bulk sublimation inks that work in the Ricoh.

The carts on the larger Ricoh are much larger than Epson so in theory you might not really need a bulk system on the Ricoh. And there would be an advantage having pre-filled Ricoh carts from SG in that you don't have to worry about maintaining a bulk system and keeping a good prime on it. But of course the SG Ricoh carts are expensive.

I use Cobra currently.
Mike, do you use the Epson 7010 with Cobra High Temp inks?
I just installed them along with the profiles downloaded from their site for that printer/ink. I haven't printed anything yet, but I've noticed that in the downloaded profiles there is a choice of profile to use depending on the substrate used. In the downloaded profiles there are 10 files. 4 for polyester cloth, 4 for aluminum plate & 2 for sublidecal. There is nothing there for FRP plastic such as license plates or for ceramics such as mugs. I've emailed Richard & he said there is a file in the download stating which to use but it's not there. Is this the same profiles you use. What setting do you use for mugs & FRP? I'm also waiting for Richard to respond with clarification on this. (I'll try to attach a pic of the profile files.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Mike, do you use the Epson 7010 with Cobra High Temp inks?
I just installed them along with the profiles downloaded from their site for that printer/ink. I haven't printed anything yet, but I've noticed that in the downloaded profiles there is a choice of profile to use depending on the substrate used. In the downloaded profiles there are 10 files. 4 for polyester cloth, 4 for aluminum plate & 2 for sublidecal. There is nothing there for FRP plastic such as license plates or for ceramics such as mugs. I've emailed Richard & he said there is a file in the download stating which to use but it's not there. Is this the same profiles you use. What setting do you use for mugs & FRP? I'm also waiting for Richard to respond with clarification on this. (I'll try to attach a pic of the profile files.)
I'm using the WF1100 with the Cobra inks. I only use one profile even though I do have a few for different papers/substrates.

What I found is that there some slight hue variances from substrate to even if I used the profiled as stated for it's purpose. I will often have the same photo on multiple substrate types, for example a tile and then a metal. So the customer would see slight variations in color hue if they looked at the different substrate types side by side. Subtle differences but certainly noticeable.

Your profiles may or may not exhibit that.

What I did was to print all the profiles onto poly cloth then look for the most accurate, then use that for everything. I tested the best profile I determined on poly cloth then transferred onto all the substrates I use. Then I just have a specific Gamma adjustment for each different substrate using the common profile.

Profiles for different substrates are OK in theory, but I think if you are going to employ them it's best to have those made custom for your printer/ink combination such as Pisque describes above if you are going to split those fine hairs. If you find you prefer to have specific profiles for different substrates then best to have your printer dialed in tighter as well, not just the substrate.

Profiles for different substrates really differ in that the whiteness of the substrate, the gloss, and the ability of the coating to absorb the dye is what really varies. So a Gamma adjustment handles that real well for me. It's no less convenient for me to have to set Gamma as it is to place a different profile for each item, but I eliminate any slight hue differences by using a common profile.

Since the profiles are really generic I don't think you can achieve the same hue consistency as if you made your own profile for your printer, not one used for all printers of the same model.

If you have blank FRP mostly then try the different profiles onto blank FRP material and determine the best one to run with, even if the profile was meant for a different substrate run with the best one you find.

Use this test file for your testing.

http://www.gballard.net/dl/PDI_TargetFolderONLY.zip

You should also be aware that your specific paper, quality setting and paper type in the Epson driver matter. So you should try ie matte paper and plain paper settings and see which settings work best with what profile, even though the profile is supposed to be specific to paper and driver settings.

·
Registered
614 Posts
We make our own profiles in house to be able to achieve the different ICCs for different product types, would be too costly to outsource this - buying the kit worked out cheaper and more convenient for us.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
We make our own profiles in house to be able to achieve the different ICCs for different product types, would be too costly to outsource this - buying the kit worked out cheaper and more convenient for us.
Yes, I agree.

Also, what isn't known is how much that printer shifts over extended periods of time, so the question becomes how long a printer holds it's "cal". Then you need to re-profile perhaps later anyway.

I get by with a generic profile mostly because my printers are cheap and "disposable". So with "throwaway" printers it would be required to redo the profile exercise again once you get a new printer ... $$$

I have seen the differences between true custom profiles and generic profiles and even 4 vs 8 color.

Custom profiles and 8 color wins, just depends on how much $$$ you have already wrapped up in your equipment and how critical your clientele is.

Had a Epson 2800 printer with 8 colors, at the time I was working with a sublimation suppier who was involved with TOG before the SG settlement, I had the profiles that were going to be "generic" for others actually made from my printer ... since the target for the ICC was done on my printer, it was custom in my context.

Not long afterwards TOG was bought off so the ink supply was gone. No loss on my part as I got some free inks for helping the vendor, but it was worth the time to do this. The real issue for me going back to 4 color printers was how long my printer would be in use, and having to have profile redos after the printer was gone.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys. All great info. I was used to using only 1 profile for everything when I was using Artanium inks so I was somewhat confused when I started with Cobra Inks. I've started using the aluminum metal profile when printing on FRP plastic & it's working great so far, so I guess I'll stick with that. The other one is for cloth substrates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.