T-Shirt Forums banner

were is DTF Printing forum posts?

34K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  Pepwear IT 
#1 ·
Hello,

i am trying to find information regarding DTF printing but cant find any posts anywhere?
is this printing style to new?

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
We are DTF Printer manufacturer,You might know this print process from us directly .
The name you have chosen is a bit silly.
1. DTF is an existing acronym for "direct to fabric".
2. The film is not the end product, so your process is not "direct".
My opinion at least...

you show a pretty intense (expensive) looking "shake powder machine" in step 3. The process looks neither simple, nor inexpensive.
It is much more simple than DTG actually, because it eliminates the dreadful pretreatment step.
It will also eliminate the cost of expensive mistakes. Messing up a large print on a premium shirt can easily cost $8 to $10 (cost of ink + shirt).
There are drawback as well though. Durability and print quality are the obvious/expected ones.

This machine is not complicated, but it's not meant for home use either.
You don't really need all this automation, unless you do really high volume.

#4 ·
@digitalprinter
So in addition to the printing machine in step 2, you show a pretty intense (expensive) looking "shake powder machine" in step 3. The process looks neither simple, nor inexpensive.

1. What would you say are the most comparable or competitive print methods/technology? (DTG?)
  2. What would you say are the advantages of DTF over these other methods
  3. Disadvantages?
  4. Ball park pricing of the "printing machine" and "shake powder machine"?
thanks

#31 ·
Yes, P600 is the us model. Shows as discontinued on the Epson website, but available on places like 123refills and Dtgpro, it's crazy in demand since it's well-known in DTG circles, lots of videos, Epson inkpad adjustment software and has the Extra large cartridges.

#37 · (Edited)
OK here is my verdict.
This thing does work but it is not the unicorn people portray it to be.

1. Design limitations
If you are thinking of printing halftones and feathered edges... forget about it. The glue will show and it's really ugly.
I cannot think of any design you could print with this and you could not print on printable vinyl.
You are basically limited to contour cut designs just like with vinyl.
Cost (film+ ink) is also similar to printable vinyl.
Printing time is much slower than printable vinyl because you need to print the white layer too.
I know vinyl needs to be weeded, but this needs powdering and baking. When done manually I think vinyl actually wins.
Edges are not as clear and sharp as with vinyl. This can be either a good or a bad thing, depending on the look you want to have.

2. Not as good as DTG for white or light color garments
CMYK DTG on light color fabric is really soft and that's something people really like.
These inkjet-via-film transfers are always a film on top of the fabric, even when the fabric is white.
To be honest JPSS transfers on white shirts are a much better option.
Therefore, inkjet-via-film transfers is a total fail for me... More expensive than JPSS and less quality.

To conclude this is not something I could personally use.
I think most people buying this would want to make transfers to re-sell, but even in this case I think printable vinyl would be a much better choice.
Vinyl film can be white, clear, metallic, etc. A lot more possibilities.
Chinese brand wide format solvent printer-cutters are really cheap (around £3,000) and are now as reliable as the big brands.
Bulk solvent ink is £30 per litre and easy to find.
If you prefer a known brand printer the Mimaki CJV150 (80cm / 32 inch wide) is curently priced around £5,500
Another positive solvent printers have is that you will not be limited to t-shirts... You can print stickers, banners, posters, product labels, etc...
No point wasting your time chasing unicorns. That's my opinion at least.

#39 ·
it also seems to require a very hands-on daily maintenance plus technical maintenance and/or troubleshooting
so i don't think it is just for anyone
research, research, research before plunking down thousands of dollars

here is an updated vid i posted in another thread:

this unicorn sighting is:

#40 · (Edited)
it also seems to require a very hands-on daily maintenance plus technical maintenance and/or troubleshooting
so i don't think it is just for anyone
research, research, research before plunking down thousands of dollars

here is an updated vid i posted in another thread:

this unicorn sighting is:
View attachment 272471
I can't tell if he is saying DTF is bad or selling his transfers. Maintenance is required with any industrial printer, some might require more than others.

Yes, the inks are hard on heads, hence it requires ink circulation and daily prints. If you cover that it works well.

i had issues with desktop version too, it was slow and required too much cleaning. My 24" is going strong printing atleast 2k prints/ week. It does have some minor issues now and then but that's understandable as this method is still in infancy and the machines are first gen. I am seeing improved ones coming up, i might update on that soon.

#43 ·
Hello @vvamic
I tried to PM you but I'm guessing being a new user I'm not able to reply until later as stated. Anyways I'll just continue here.
"Thank for the reply! That really helped!
I see, so even if the final print on the film looks good, it could still be the fabric, bad ink, or white base issues? I attached the image of the final print on the TPU film before heat pressing.

I was using Fruit of The Loom 3931 100% HD cotton shirt."

#44 ·
Yes, those are the most common factors in DTF print quality. On a T-shirt you will mostly get good results, but on sweatshirts it will vary coz variety of fabrics are used and usually have heavy patterns. In short the smoother the surface the better the result.

And always keep your designs in at least 300DPI to avoid dull edges and pixelization.

#50 ·
I have a question about the 'feeling'.
Some prints I tested feels very plastic, thick, not stretchable. Others feel softer and thinner.
Since the vinyl is removed it depends on the 1. print head 2. powder 3. ink?

Could somebody give me more feedback on it. I want soft feeling, as thin as possible ;-)

#51 ·
I have a question about the 'feeling'.
Some prints I tested feels very plastic, thick, not stretchable. Others feel softer and thinner.
Since the vinyl is removed it depends on the 1. print head 2. powder 3. ink?
The print-head has nothing to do with it.
The hand feel and stretchability depends on the ink and powder used.
Most people use dtf-inks and TPU powder.
Printing them with a DTG, solvent, and UV inks is also possible.

#56 ·
DTF printer (digintal transfer film printer) is now widely used already in China market and also exports a lot to all over the world. It's quite stable and efficient now. There are big printer to print 0.6meters width transfer designs and also A3 size dtf printer 30cm wdith, we use it and als printed designs for many people in USA and they feedback quite good and even say it's already similar as screen printing on t-shirts. It's quite easy now to make custom t-shirts. The printed heat transfer is quite fresh colors, quite easy to heat transfer on t-shirts and stand well on shirts with many washing. If you want know more or test samples, contact me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.