T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all! im new here and eager to reap all the benefits i possibly can from your wealth of knowledge. ive been making my own shirts for years now (heat transfer) and, due to high demand, have decided to sell them. id like to move over to silkscreening and i am building a little studio in my basement. once im ready, im sure ill be back with plenty of questions. as for now, i was wondering, how does one get their designs copyrighted? how important would you say that is to do?
any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
shakes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Shakes,

You do not need to do anything to get your design copyrighted. Check out this paragraph from the U.S. Copywright office:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

"Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright."

Trademarks and Patents on the other hand do require registration.

Welcome to the forum as well

Martin
www.paperplain.com - Stand Out From The Crowd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot!

martin said:
Hello Shakes,

You do not need to do anything to get your design copyrighted. Check out this paragraph from the U.S. Copywright office:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

"Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright."

Trademarks and Patents on the other hand do require registration.

Welcome to the forum as well

Martin
www.paperplain.com - Stand Out From The Crowd

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You can register your copyright as well I believe, for a small fee. This basically protects you from someone else claiming they made it FIRST, gives you some backing and proof. Still, it is probably an unecessary step.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts