T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a dilemma, I'm very brand new to this and need help.

I'm trying to decide should I just create an Etsy shop or should I design a website. I was looking at wix.com and also thinking about Shopify. A friend of mine said he didn't have much luck on Shopify but that one person. I really need help. So far I've only created Instagram and Twitter until my designs are printed. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Its hard to say without seeing what your designs look like. I'm not too familiar with Etsy but if you think your designs might sell there (the people you will market to shop there) and its very easy and inexpensive to get started then you could try it. If you have your own site then you'll have more control over it and have a greater chance of being more profitable over time but it takes a lot of time to build and maintain a site. You might do both. Start with Etsy while you plan and build your own site. That way you can start making money on Etsy (and learning what sells) while you create a good site instead of starting with a inferior, quickly made site because you're anxious to get started.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
The advantage of Etsy, eBay, Amazon, etc is that people go there with the intent to buy, or at least shop, for stuff. So if someone goes to Etsy and searches for "Anteater Shirt" and you have one, they just might click on your shirt.

Now imagine you have your very own URL and web site. And there is an anteater shirt on it. Who knows or cares? Sure, you might come up in a Google search ... on page 20, or so. Your independent shop is not going to have the SEO chops of an Etsy.

Yes, you can spend money on Google AdWords, and the like, and maybe you should. But Etsy is a pretty good deal for what it is, and is worth a try if your product meets their criteria.

I think SunEmbroidery made a good suggestion. Setup an Etsy store and see what sells. Then take your time and put together a cool site under your own URL.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I agree that you won't be able to compare with Etsy SEO wise at least initially. But if on your own site your SEO promotes your anteater shirt (text about anteaters, alt tag using the word "anteater", "anteater" in the H tags) then that page should rank well enough to be found. But, all that takes time, an understanding of SEO, a site platform that will allow you to implement proper SEO,creativity and an understanding of what will sell and who will buy it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I create tie dyed shirts so it is a wee bit different but I'm actually doing what was mentioned above, opened an Etsy shop and have built a website with a Weebly template, through my host Siteground. My website is mostly just a contact point and shows examples of my work. But, eventually I'd like sell there as well.

I just opened the Etsy shop in February and have had consistent sales with limited shirts offered. My one criticism of Etsy is when someone clicks on an image of one of your shirts in a general search online, the link doesn't take you to directly to your shirt it takes you to all the Etsy shirts offered in that category. But, it's simple to use and gets your work out there.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I create tie dyed shirts so it is a wee bit different but I'm actually doing what was mentioned above, opened an Etsy shop and have built a website with a Weebly template, through my host Siteground. My website is mostly just a contact point and shows examples of my work. But, eventually I'd like sell there as well.

I just opened the Etsy shop in February and have had consistent sales with limited shirts offered. My one criticism of Etsy is when someone clicks on an image of one of your shirts in a general search online, the link doesn't take you to directly to your shirt it takes you to all the Etsy shirts offered in that category. But, it's simple to use and gets your work out there.
Nice work! Decades ago when I worked on the staff of Portland Saturday Market, a guy named Milo was a sensation with his creative and unique tie dye work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The answer is both! I sell on all of those platforms. When someone buys from me at one of the marketplaces I always insert a thank you card in the packaging. On the reverse side of it is a coupon for 10% off at our online store. We average about 80% of those customers come to the site and 50% of those buy from the site. You cant beat the traffic that the marketplaces get so why try? Just take the time to also co very them to your site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Create a website and use etsy.

I'm trying to decide should I just create an Etsy shop or should I design a website. I was looking at wix.com and also thinking about Shopify. A friend of mine said he didn't have much luck on Shopify but that one person. I really need help. So far I've only created Instagram and Twitter until my designs are printed. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
34 Posts

Owning a website is the best,because you have full control over it,also I suggest create a facebook business page,facebook is the biggest traffic source of any business on the planet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had this same thought when I started last year, I went for a website as I thought it'd give me more choice on how to grow, I now have a blog - which is great for SEO, and I've actually sold a few t-shirts.. however now I'm thinking Etsy would've been a better place to start - I'm designing t-shirts which I think are good, but some of them haven't even sold yet...

I think my main issue with having both is duplicate content... any SEO'ers here will know that simply copying content from one site to another isn't good for SEO... so I'm not really sure on how to get around that...

I may reconsider and start using Etsy aswell though.. you guys raise some good points here... thanks!

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
On the SEO aspect ... I use pretty much the same descriptive text on Etsy, eBay, and my own URL.

Due to differences in how the sites are laid out, that text ends up being presented in a totally different context. For example, my Etsy listings contain notes about size/color exceptions that are needed due to the limitations of their listing logic. My eBay listings don't need that, but have references and links to each style/gender that the design is available on--since on eBay each of those must be a listing of its own. So although one paragraph of the content may be essentially identical across all three shops, the rest of the listing content is unique to the venue.

Test searching for a design with Google, I've found it listed three times on the first page of results, one each for Etsy, eBay, and my own URL. So I'm not so sure that duplication of the descriptive content is a problem as long as it appears in an entirely different context amongst other supporting content. Of course, if you can change it up a little, that might be prudent, but I have not bothered to do that myself.

If you built two essentially identical sites that presented the same content in essentially the same context, then that may well be an issue.

@TheFactShop
Hey, you've got a cool spin on the "geek" niche, nice work. The main downside to having multiple outlets is the time it takes to set them up and maintain the content. That said, Etsy accounts for most of my sales, and about half of the people on my own URL were Etsy customers first. Be where the people be :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sell almost exclusively on Etsy. I'm a very small shop, but it definitely keeps me busy. Combined with Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, I get a decent amount of business.

The only complaint I have about Etsy is that, when it comes to trademarks, all the power is with the lawyers. Once a report is filed against you, you have absolutely no power to fight it. I've heard of some of the stupidest things being trademarked, and your actual item doesn't have to say it, the trademarked word just has to be in your description somewhere. Etsy has very strict penalties for trademark infringement, too: 5 reports and your shop is closed. When 3 of your listings get dinged at the same time, you get a little worried :p

But, other than that, I absolutely love Etsy. The audience is already there, their seller tools are all extremely user-friendly, and the community is very supportive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have started first with etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/DigitizingNinjas

I have to say that i got positive results only when i started advertising it on etsy, i have website also which is in my signatures, but i will advice you to create etsy shop first because you start selling easily and start making some money.

When i compare etsy shop with my own website, i see i am free to create more pages, blogs etc on my website and have more control on contents and products, having own website also helps to you optimize and promote it in social media, search engines etc.

Etsy also provide option to promote your shop on Google Adwords, but i rare got results on those as compared to promotion on etsy local advertising

In start you have to spend some money on etsy, once you get few reviews and ratings, your shop will start getting rankings and you will get orders. My shop is not too old but i got reasonable orders and reviews from etsy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On the SEO aspect ... I use pretty much the same descriptive text on Etsy, eBay, and my own URL.

Due to differences in how the sites are laid out, that text ends up being presented in a totally different context. For example, my Etsy listings contain notes about size/color exceptions that are needed due to the limitations of their listing logic. My eBay listings don't need that, but have references and links to each style/gender that the design is available on--since on eBay each of those must be a listing of its own. So although one paragraph of the content may be essentially identical across all three shops, the rest of the listing content is unique to the venue.

Test searching for a design with Google, I've found it listed three times on the first page of results, one each for Etsy, eBay, and my own URL. So I'm not so sure that duplication of the descriptive content is a problem as long as it appears in an entirely different context amongst other supporting content. Of course, if you can change it up a little, that might be prudent, but I have not bothered to do that myself.

If you built two essentially identical sites that presented the same content in essentially the same context, then that may well be an issue.

@TheFactShop
Hey, you've got a cool spin on the "geek" niche, nice work. The main downside to having multiple outlets is the time it takes to set them up and maintain the content. That said, Etsy accounts for most of my sales, and about half of the people on my own URL were Etsy customers first. Be where the people be :)
Is there a way to do a search for copyrighted/trademarked designs and slogans to ensure you are not at risk prior to printing?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts