T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
My question relates to stretching white shirts with waterbased screenprinting on them.

Once cured, the shirts washtest with out problem, however, when you stretch a normal white T-shirt, the ink parts with the fibres. I understand that this is correct with waterbased on white shirts in that the ink penetrates the fibres and does not just 'sit on the top' of the garment. Is this correct? Ink is Speedball.

Thx
Graham

Added photos unstretched / stretched

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Waterbased ink does go into the fibers of the shirt but the result depends on the print technique. You can print a thin layer that will just stay toward the top of the shirt and will be like what is in your picture when stretched. If you use a more open screen and a lot of pressure you can force the ink deeper into the shirt or even through the shirt. I tend to force the ink down because I like the look of the print better, but for some jobs a thin layer will work just fine.

Try a 110 with a very thin coating of emulsion and a lot of squeegee pressure to see what it looks like with the ink going through the shirt.

What did you print that red through in your picture?

·
Registered
54 Posts
One more thing, make sure to do a fill stroke before printing. You will get a lot more ink onto the shirt. Just don't do more than one fill stroke or it will ghost the image.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.