T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Need a little advice please. Been using Speedball Diazo emulsion with their own fabric inks, but the screen will not last longer than around 20-30 impressions. The blocked out areas then start to let 'some' ink through, causing a haze on the shirt, but no pin-holes are present. Spoke to Speedball, who confirmed that their emulsion should last at least to 100 (which is what I needed). I have test stripped the exposure to around 28 mins, with 6 x 20w fluorescent tubes, 8 inches from glass on a lightbox. The screens are dried with moving air for around 2 hours prior to use, and they are washed out with some pressue to produce good screens, with no 'slime'.

My questions are:
1. Is there an optimum time to allow the screen to dry before use.
2. Anyone commercially using Speedball Diazo. If so , how are you coping with longevity
3. Any recommendations for better emulsion for waterbased?

Thanks folks
Graham

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
are you sure the emulsion you are using is designed to work with waterbased inks?
waterbase inks break down plastisol emulsion..you need a specail waterbase emulsion to work with the waterbase inks.

Inked

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Inked

Thanks fo the reply. Yes, the emulsion is for waterbased. In fact, I am using Speedballs own fabric inks with their emulsion and I have only just finished a print session and am having redo screens again because of this 'haze' after only 40 impressions. I need to find a more commercial emulsion.

Thx
G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts