T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Contractor

I don't know if this should be a separate thread.

Let's say I were to do my shirts on my own. (just to have options) What would I need to buy? I know that plenty of folks ask this here everyday, and I will continue reading as many posts on this forum as I can. I just thought that since I am looking at screen printing with water based inks (versus "a" screen printing shop/business) it might be a diferrent list.

Keep in mind this question comes from someone who until late last night thought epson and brother printers discussed here often are regular office-like printers, and couldn't figure out how on earth people were managing to fit t-shirts in them to do direct to garment printing :). (Normally I am smart...no really...I am, just having a little information overload:)).

So slightly clueless person looking for the supplies, equipment etc to start screen printing with water based inks... Let me know.

I appreciate your time and input folks, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
274 Posts
if you go to dickblick.com, they have a whole section on screen printing.

they have their own kit, which is small but probably more affordable than going out and purchasing everything seperate. http://www.dickblick.com/zz449/07/

or you could post a wanted ad on craigslist looking for used screen printing supplies. i got my WHOLE set up from someone on craigslist- it's a brand new hix set up and it came with all the inks/chemicals/etc. granted i had to drive to florida... you may find something there, though!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you zagadka,

by the way do you speak russian? Cause zagadka means mystery in russian and I was just curious.

Speaking of water based - can anyone recommend me a few good brands of water based ink? I've used jaquard, but would like to try a couple more. This weekend i'll be going to dickblick to buy pretty much all colors available fom jaquard, and want to have the same from at least one more brand.

Please let me know folks,

Thank you Annushka

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you go to dickblick.com, they have a whole section on screen printing.

they have their own kit, which is small but probably more affordable than going out and purchasing everything seperate.

I bought that start up kit from DickBlick almost 2 years ago and I would never reccomend it to anybody. The press is made out of press wood and the screw clamps are really awful. The platen is small, and you are definitly going to want a better exposure light than the flood bulb they give you

Soon after I recieved that package I found Screen Printing Starter Kit
and wish I would of bought that start up kit instead. Its cheaper, the press is solid steel and the chemicals are much better quality. BUT... doesnt come with a light exposure. But so what, just go to the hardware store and buy a 250w-500w halogen light for $25

Honestly, I'm still using the inks that came with it but I'm going to exploring new brand of inks (wate based) sometime soon here

Hope that helps

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a result i ended up using ezscreenprint stuff. It's enough for 1-2 colors, small size, simple jobs that don't require great deal of details in the artwork or registration for printing. I never ended up trying out any other starter kits as they seemed too messy. This stuff is much easier to work with. As far as inks - I use either jacquard or Pebeo inks, that are sold in the dickblick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts