T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am using some Permaset supercover ink (it's some rather opaque water based ink) to print tees, and I am having a hard time with the ink drying in the screen.

I don't have any fancy setup, just full contact of a screen sitting on top of a shirt. When I print, everything comes out nicely, but when I go to rinse the screen out, a ton of ink stays behind.

I bought some ink cleanup (tr blend), and thought that might help, but it doesn't take any ink out of a screen, so I poke a needle through parts where it's totally clogged...

What am I doing wrong?

And while I am asking, I also have trouble with my flood stroke. When I pull a bead of ink along, I am trying to press lightly, and the ink just works up the squeegee blade, instead of making a nice coating on the screen (it just coats a few inches). There's a lot of ink on the squeegee, so I don't think I am putting too little, plus I've read that you shouldn't put too much water-based ink on in one go.

I would really appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
are you using retarder to slow drying in the screen?

are you flooding the screen after each print?e pressure while pulling the squeegee, you can control ink flow easier with the angle of blade rather than pressure

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I am using some Permaset supercover ink
Are you in Australia? Because if the weather in your area is anything like the weather we've been having in Melbourne the last few weeks, that's going to be contributing.

What am I doing wrong?
If the print is okay, my best guess is that you're letting the ink dry in the screen. The ink may be a little thick and dried out (which means it will dry in the screen faster), but if so you would be having a lot more trouble getting a good print with it.

And while I am asking, I also have trouble with my flood stroke. When I pull a bead of ink along, I am trying to press lightly, and the ink just works up the squeegee blade
The most common cause I know of for ink driving up the blade is that the squeegee angle is too acute.

(it just coats a few inches). There's a lot of ink on the squeegee, so I don't think I am putting too little
Although again this is something that can happen if your ink is too thick.

What kind of consistency is your ink? It should be like cake mix, rather than like peanut butter (poor analogies, but hopefully get the point across).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip about the blade angle when flooding, I'll try it with the blade more vertical.

In terms of the dryout, I am not leaving it in the screen very long, and even after just one print, I end up with this clouding of my screen... which I am sure will mean less ink through the next time.

It's the fact that it happens after just one print, as well as the fact that it is new ink (not dried out, it seems to have the right consistency), which makes me concerned. I'm in Canada, and the weather is pretty dry this time of year due to the cold weather, but again, just one print seems to me like it should work.

I am not using any retarder, I will pick some up and try it. Will it make my prints less opaque?

And in the meantime, how should I be using this ink cleanup stuff to wash out this cloudiness from the screen? Am I supposed to soak it for a while, rub it, or what? It might not even be the right application for it (I was thinkink that maybe ink cleanup might be to take ink off equipment, rather than out of screens).

Thanks for the quick responses!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
even after just one print, I end up with this clouding of my screen... which I am sure will mean less ink through the next time.
Hmm... unless the ink is actually drying in the screen, it shouldn't be cause for concern between prints. The screen will get stained, which is normal.

So this problem happens immediately after the first print? If so the only two things I can think of are 1) There is no problem, or 2) The ink is defective. There shouldn't really be a problem that early in the process.

And in the meantime, how should I be using this ink cleanup stuff to wash out this cloudiness from the screen?
I've never needed to use anything like that, so I'm not sure. Soap and water usually does the trick.

Sorry that was pretty useless. Hopefully someone will have some better ideas.

·
Registered
122 Posts
when printing waterbase its always good to have a spray bottle full of water handy to spray on the screen when the inkj is starting to dry up, but as long as you are on top of flooding after each print you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree with Steve. A spray bottle will save you alot of trouble. Just don't soop the screen or let it dry up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... but as long as you are on top of flooding after each print you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Ahhh, I knew it was something I was doing wrong :eek:

I was definitely not doing that. Hopefully I'll be able to save this screen, my previous ink was more forgiving of my poor technique, but not as nice.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, keep a flood over the open area of the screen. The greater amount of ink will dry more slowly than a tiny amount, plus the open area lets air pass through. Thus speeding the drying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there,
I too am about to start using the Permaset aqua brand and am looking forward to my trial by fire (or should I say Waterbase) into the screen print biz.
I have yet to pull my 1st squeegee but I am excited and happy for all this wealth of info on this forum.
Peace
Randall

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oritron-
Keep in mind that you can't mix retarder base and ink brands, or they won't work right, they might have an opposite and quite negative effect.

Anyone that prints with water-based ink needs to try Matsui brand ink. It's incredible stuff. I love their white. It stretches and doesn't clog easily. Contact Westix at 1-800-741-3887 and ask for a sample of the matsui opaque or super stretch white. Everyone there I've spoken to has been very nice and super informative. I ordered a gallon of the white because I was so impressed and they sent me a sample of the full pantone set. Matsui is revolutionary and every WB printer should try it. I'll never use another white again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there,
I'm also about to plunge into water-based screen printing, so this thread has been extremely helpful*
Cheers***

·
Registered
302 Posts
One other tip . When I used to have a large run that I couldn't finish in one day or wanted to take a long break, I would wrap the screen in saran wrap and it would keep the ink and screen from drying out or clogging up. Print ,flood always with waterbase,gotta keep that mesh lubed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man, I just reread this thread and having now started printing all this stuff is soooo useful*
Thanks everyone for all the sterling advice*

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, Permaset makes a retarder but I can only find it in Australia. Anyone have any success with a retarder mixed into Permaset Supercover inks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just been playing around with this ink as well and though i'm flooding as i should, and it's not clogging my screen or anything, it still dries extremely quick. after one shirt theres already a nice dry layer on the emulsion areas of my screen. And i live in central florida which is damn humid. I usually spray my screen with silicone spray before i print with water based which i forgot to do with this ink, but i'm also going to try some old speed ball retarder and see what happens. i'll let you all know how that works out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts