T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one old post on this but was just wondering how you guys filter your washout water? I'm about to move my washout sink to a new location and was thinking about the franmar filter system, but man that's expensive. I was thinking about making my own with a sump pump and some filters, but I'm no plumber so I'd probably be just wasting more money doing that. I currently just use buckets at the current location but just wondering if anyone has used the big commercially made filter systems or if you've made your own? Anyone have pictures of what you use?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought the filtration unit from Lawsons in St. Louis MO. that just sits under your washout booth and over a drain. I bought a large plastic tote from wally world and a sump pump from ace and sump the water out via a garden hose into the drain pipe in the wall underneath my washout booth. I had to do it this way as the drain was installed about 2 feet above the floor in the wall. Works great for my setup. Just have to remember to clean the screens in the filer every once in awhile or I have water running over the filter unit and onto the floor. Also have to remember to drain the tote after every screen or else I'll flood the room as well.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought the filtration unit from Lawsons in St. Louis MO. that just sits under your washout booth and over a drain. I bought a large plastic tote from wally world and a sump pump from ace and sump the water out via a garden hose into the drain pipe in the wall underneath my washout booth. I had to do it this way as the drain was installed about 2 feet above the floor in the wall. Works great for my setup. Just have to remember to clean the screens in the filer every once in awhile or I have water running over the filter unit and onto the floor. Also have to remember to drain the tote after every screen or else I'll flood the room as well.

Good Luck!
LOL We kind of do the same thing. Well, not exactly the same. It looks like quite the contraption, but it gets the job done. And we have flooded the washout room before. It was just one of those days! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Other than stuffing some furnace filter material in the drain holes in my sink, I don't filter the water. That catches any solids, and I don't wash ink down the sink, anyway. All the stuff I use to reclaim is supposed to be drain safe, but I'm on a sewer system so as long as I'm not putting a ton of stuff down the drain, it's not an issue. On the other hand, if I were on septic, I'd be a little skittish about putting any of this stuff down the drain on a regular basis. Probably build a holding tank to let all solids settle out, a sump pump up out of the solids area to push the liquid out, then load my septic tank with copious amounts of Rid-X and anything else I could find to keep it from crapping out, and especially to keep the drainfield from plugging up. That gets expensive really quick.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My first shop was all drained into a septic system. I contacted the manufacturer of the emulsion I was using to make sure it and all the chemicals I used were safe for septic systems. They stated it was. I never had a problem.

Since moving my shop to a nearby town, I bought the filteration unit to keep drains from clogging and so I wouldn't get a visit from the water treatment guys every time I washed a screen out. I contacted the man in charge of the water treatment facility, showed him what I was buying in the filter unit, showed him the msds sheets of all the chemicals I use, and cleared it with him before I ever washed out my first screen. I think he was really appreciative of my efforts to contact him as he acted like nobody else had ever done that before in this small town.

Always check with your treatment facility if you have one before just putting stuff down the drain. And if on another type system, ie. septic or otherwise, contact the manufacturer for their input, get and read the msds sheets, and then determine if it is safe for your facilty.

Later!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Tom, the "furnace filter material" should look like some foam right? So the waste water drips down the drain slowly?
No, I buy a sheet of that dark blue "washable" filter media. It's kind of like the stuff on the scrub pads we buy to clean screens. Cut a kinda roundish piece a little larger than the hole and stuff it in. It'll start plugging up soon enough with some use, but if you cut it too big and jam it in there, it damn near won't pass water.

I've used this material in my garage setup, too, and checked the cleanout plug in the line through which the water passes, and the only thing I noticed was a slight blue-green stain from the reclaimed emulsion, but no buildup. My screens are clean of ink before they hit the sink.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts