T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a problem here.
The ink on my black tshirt just gone with a light scratch after a wash.

Everything was perfect until I wash it. It printed nicely, tried to scratch it after curing it....nothing wrong.

Put into washing machine, come out with huge loss of detail and I can easily rub the ink of the tshirt. Even if I wash it inside out.

Anyone knows what have I done wrong?

Pretretment dry time: 55s @ 170C
Curing time: 120s @ 170C
Pretreament method: using brush, pretreament dilluted very very lightly (with less than 10% water).

Many many thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Hi all,

I have a problem here.
The ink on my black tshirt just gone with a light scratch after a wash.

Everything was perfect until I wash it. It printed nicely, tried to scratch it after curing it....nothing wrong.

Put into washing machine, come out with huge loss of detail and I can easily rub the ink of the tshirt. Even if I wash it inside out.

Anyone knows what have I done wrong?

Pretretment dry time: 55s @ 170C
Curing time: 120s @ 170C
Pretreament method: using brush, pretreament dilluted very very lightly (with less than 10% water).

Many many thanks in advance.

This could be from putting too much pretreatment on. If you put on too much pretreatment you will lose washability.

It could also happen if the print was not dried long enough.
_

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i'm going to go with too much pretreat as well. if you are using DuPont pretreat, you can dilute up to 50/50. i diluted 60/40 (60% pretreat, 40% water). this allows you to get the shirt wetter. however, you can still apply too much even when diluting.

i've since switched to Image Armour, and you don't need to dilute, and you don't need to worry about using too much. it prints, and washes much better than DuPont.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, Harry and Sean.

I just dilluted the pre treatment to 50-50.
A bit better now but I still be able to scratch it off.
Put few drop of detergent water to certain area, scratch....ink is gone.

I'm currently purely rely on brushing instead of wagner spray when applying the pre treatment (easier since I have a very limited space).
Do you guys think this is also one of the issue?

I'm thinking to double pass the white or using higher the white ink resolution to 1440x1440 (i'm using 1440x720).
I don't think this is the issue since print result before washing is always good?

thanks again

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Harry and Sean.

I just dilluted the pre treatment to 50-50.
A bit better now but I still be able to scratch it off.
Put few drop of detergent water to certain area, scratch....ink is gone.

I'm currently purely rely on brushing instead of wagner spray when applying the pre treatment (easier since I have a very limited space).
Do you guys think this is also one of the issue?

I'm thinking to double pass the white or using higher the white ink resolution to 1440x1440 (i'm using 1440x720).
I don't think this is the issue since print result before washing is always good?

thanks again

Brushing it on instead of spraying it could be part of the problem. Were you getting washability problems before this?
_

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As i can remember...I've been brushing for almost a year. I thought brushing is one of the best method?
I will try the spraying again with diluted pretreatment (50/50).

I washed the tshirt using cold water.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
you only brush after spraying the shirt. the brushing technique (i actually use a plastic squeegee used for applying vinyl) is used to flatten the fibers while they are still wet. then when you dry the pretreat, the fibers are dried in a flat position. this method should give you consistent results and less fibrillation. this, however, has nothing to do with how the shirt washes with regards to the white ink peeling off. what shirt are you using?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again all,

I tried again with the wagner spray.
I still got the washability problem.
Simply put some detergent water, lightly rub the print and the problem come out.
It's not really peeling but more like the white ink doesn't really sit on the pretreatment.
Something like not properly cured.

Could it be white ink problem? Such as expired ink?

Really desperate here.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your not curing long enough. white ink needs almost double that I cure white/underbased prints for 2:40 seconds @333f
If that doesn't help.
Try a different brand shirt. have you used them before recently with success? they could be treated with something for a softer feel or stain protection etc. is it a new unwashed shirt?
Are you diluting preTreat with distilled water or reg tap water?
Also try prepressing the shirt to flatten and remove moisture etc before pretreatment.
Are you sure your press is maintaining temps?
the last pic just looks like poor coverage of pretreat
Also make sure you shake the heck out of your pretreat before using. dupont settles horribly.
I use and recommend a hand pump sprayer much easier than a wagner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info, Chris.

I cure the white 120 seconds at 347F (175C).
I just tried other brand but still the same.
I dilluted the pretreatment with distilled water.

The last image was 100% pretreatment and was not poor coverage of pretreatment, it was printed ok...
I gently rub the white print using detergent water to simulate gentle wash and became like that.

The only thing that I haven't really check is the press temp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.