T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is my first thread so go easy one me! I'm pretty sure I'm putting this in the right place.

So I'm mostly a graphic designer/illustrator that has done a ton of t-shirt work for various clients, but I really want to make a t-shirt line on my own (with the help of a friend of mine). I am very confident in the designs and am sure they will sell, I just now have to get them printed (we're not printing them ourselves) and sold!!

I'm thinking we'll start out locally, beginning with friends and family. From there we'll approach some local, small stores that carry similar brands. How do I go about this? How does this work? Just approach them with our t-shirts and if all goes well they'll order a certain amount from us and pay us up front? Or do we only get paid if they actually sell the shirts?

Also, how much do we sell the shirts to stores for? Say we get them printed for $8 a shirt, and the suggested retail price is $20, how much would they buy them for?

Thanks,
-Derek

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hi Derek,

Your wholesale price (the one you sell the t-shirts for) should be at least 2x your cost. So if it costs you $8 to make a t-shirt, your wholesale price is $16 and the suggested retail price (what the customer pays) is double the wholesale, which is $32. You will need that extra $8 between your cost and wholesale price for overhead and marketing (among other things).

There have been a lot of threads about selling to retailers, check out some of the more popular ones here:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/offline-retail-tradeshows/t20410.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts