T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI:

I work at a supplements store, and they usually order t-shirts to other companies so I decided to open a t-shirt business. But i was browsing on the internet and found there is screenprinting, heat transfer, vinyl transfer and I need help as to which one is the best quality and easiest. The screen printing looks a little time consuming and hard work.

can someone please tell me which one is better? which material resists wearing and tearing?

Which type to start?

Thank you

Judy

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
if you are just starting out...why not outsource until you decide which way to go..
Screen printing is probably more common BUT you can outsource to a local screen printer...you won't make as much money, but you don't have to invest any money OR you can do plastisol transfers (search on the forum..Rodney has a great thread on this) this is screen printing on a release paper which you can heat press yourself...you will need a heat press for this ...those can be on the cheapie side..$250 from a place like sunie.com to $1000 or so for a name press..maybe around $600 for a mighty press..
Doing normal transfers, you need to decide which kind...white only...dark shirts...etc..seach the forum there is a ton of info on these...but to do your self you will have invest in a printer, software etc plus the heat press...so I strongly suggest you just tiptoe in and outsource to see which you want to go

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i know i want to... they would like to use dark t shirts and 1 color print...

I saw the vinyl cutter transfer.. is this good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you are just starting out...why not outsource until you decide which way to go..
Screen printing is probably more common BUT you can outsource to a local screen printer...you won't make as much money, but you don't have to invest any money OR you can do plastisol transfers (search on the forum..Rodney has a great thread on this) this is screen printing on a release paper which you can heat press yourself...you will need a heat press for this ...those can be on the cheapie side..$250 from a place like sunie.com to $1000 or so for a name press..maybe around $600 for a mighty press..
Doing normal transfers, you need to decide which kind...white only...dark shirts...etc..seach the forum there is a ton of info on these...but to do your self you will have invest in a printer, software etc plus the heat press...so I strongly suggest you just tiptoe in and outsource to see which you want to go
What do you think about the Creation PCUT 24", 36", or 48" Vinyl Cutter, USCutter MH Vinyl Cutter - 12", 25", 33", or 50" inch? For the vinyl.. which i dont understand too much about...

Or the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Color Inkjet Printer for creating transfers?

For both I would need a clam press.. Digital High Pressure T-Shirt Press?? Is there any you would suggest?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
What do you think about the Creation PCUT 24", 36", or 48" Vinyl Cutter, USCutter MH Vinyl Cutter - 12", 25", 33", or 50" inch? For the vinyl.. which i dont understand too much about...

Or the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Color Inkjet Printer for creating transfers?

For both I would need a clam press.. Digital High Pressure T-Shirt Press?? Is there any you would suggest?
Please keep in mind that you can find the answers to about all of your questions by typing them into the search box at the top of the page.

If you type in pcut, you'll find dozens of posts from members who have shared their experiences with that cutter. If you type in heat press, you'll find lots of threads that go over which heat press to buy. If you type in epson or inkjet printer, you'll find lots of tips on which printer to use for inkjet transfers.

The search can help you find those answers that have already been posted, that way, if the people with the answers don't see your thread here, you can still get the information you need.

Here are some more topics that will help you compare and contrast the different printing methods:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t37985.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t57379.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
You might want to figure out what part of the market you want to be in. Do you want to produce shirts, sell shirts, or design shirts? I personally think it is hard to do all three. Others might not agree.

Figure out what you are good at, and spend all of you time and money doing it. I recomend getting formal education in whatever you decide you are best at: design, marketing, printing, whatever. You might want to work in the industry for a while before venturing out on your own. That way you can learn from your mistakes with a more experience person watching over you.

My two pennies.

R.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i already have the marketing part resolved, i would sell them to the store where i work, they have a website and store to sell them. Some of the designs would be made by me ( i took a small course on photoshop ) and some would be given to me. i would just need to put them in the system and be incharged of putting them on the t-shirts.
And they would also like caps to be made, still undecided if either embroided or printed.

What type of system would you suggest to start of with that would not be too expensive.

Thank you very very much

·
Registered
82 Posts
What type of system would you suggest to start of with that would not be too expensive.
If you only plan on printing your own designs, I recomend buying the shirts and caps wholesale, and using a contract printer to produce the shirts and hats.

If you buy ANY equipment, you will need to spend your time getting outside business to pay for it.

If you still want to know what kind of equipment to buy, I am not your guy...I am a designer, and wouldn't couldn't print a shirt if I tried.

R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts