T-Shirt Forums banner

Wagner Spray Gun

6375 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  roland1
Hi, I am about to buy my first DTG, I have read quite a few posts on pretreatment but there some unanswered questions I need,

Firstly, I will be working from home, I have 1 bedroom, bathroom and hall, the hall has no ventilation, the bathroom a small window, so I guess it's the bathroom.

1. how much overspray (unseen mist/residue) will settle on items in the room after pretreat.
2. can I pretreat a garment on a clothes hanger or does the garment need to be on a flat table.
3. how soon to you need to cure the garment after pretreat
can I pretreat 5 tees at a time and then cure them within the space of say 30 mins.
4 how long can I leave a cured tee for before printing?
5. does anyone know for a reasonable priced pretreat machine in the UK?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I have to be 100% sure, before handing over my money, this is the first time I have ever done a bank transfer for such a large amount of cash, I would normally pay by card in case anything went wrong (knowing if anything went wrong I would be covered)
is it the norm for bank transfers on DTG printers? I believe the company are sound (please don't ask who) as they were at the printwear live, tho I am a little nervous and cautious.
sorry for sounding like an insecure mouse, iv'e been burnt before and just need some answers

Thank you for any replies :)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I'm very new to DTG only having had my machine for 3 weeks. I also got a pretreat machine as part of a package.

1. I don't know but from what I've read this can be quite a lot.
2. I've seen Youtube videos of garments on upright stands in home made spray booths.
3. Not sure. I've left one for 10 minutes when I forgot it was in the machine with no ill effects. I think you only need to dry the pretreat not cure it so you should be able to leave it as long as you like. Don't take my word for this though.
4. I was told several weeks to 2 or 3 months as long as it's not folded. So either hanging up or laid flat.
5. I've seen some enclosed machines go on eBay for around £500.

Good luck.
Reactions: 1
Hey mate,

Congrats and Positive Vibes on your journey to DTG :)

I have limited amount of room, I have a Sun Room that is big enough (6m x 3m) to hold my DTG and workbench. Next room in the laundry I have Spray Booth setup.

Best practise not to setup pre-treat in the same room as DTG printer. As the spray inks can cause the DTG to clog, check out this video around 4min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UuPApO8DKI&t=0s&index=6&list=PLTvoCiCsMYgwVmV1j52k1mG6NzRz_GeRh

Me personally, I think DTG pre-treat machines are overkill if you are just starting off. Unless you have room and you are going into serious production, then I would look at it.

Save your money!

Pre-treat is critical in how a shirt turns out, I advise you to once you know the basics. Purchase multiple blanks that you will be using and test out your technique.

BASICS:
a/Heat Press Shirt
b/Pre-treat Shirt (I use spray gun)
c/Flatten fibres using paint roller
d/Heat Press Shirt
e/Hang shirts to dry

Where you will find out the differences from people from the steps above is, temperature for Heat Press, how long to heat press, using a paint roller or not. They may be minor things but there is more than once way to a successful pre-treated shirt, just find what works for you.

This video pretty much works for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfBTWFJx_U&list=PLTvoCiCsMYgwVmV1j52k1mG6NzRz_GeRh&index=3

See my answers below:

1. how much overspray (unseen mist/residue) will settle on items in the room after pretreat.

People build their own booths to minimise spray area, see here:
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/134404370104011595/

2. can I pretreat a garment on a clothes hanger or does the garment need to be on a flat table.

Yes you can have it on a hanger.

can I pretreat 5 tees at a time and then cure them within the space of say 30 mins.

I suggest you cure the garment as per the basic steps, keep it consistent and pre-treament is critical to the outcome of a great shirt, always remember that.

I have seen some people cure the tee and straight onto the DTG platen to print, where others wait 2-3 hours on a hanger to dry. I like to wait 15-30mins at least. When busy, the temptation is to do it straight away but have to keep remembering as I say, it is a critical process and rather wait.

Cannot help but you know my thoughts on these machines.

Hope this helps and all the best on your print journey!

One more thing, I suggest to subscribe to DTG publications, as DTG technology is moving so fast. So keep up with latetst best practises and products.
See less See more
Thank you @marq only just seeing this, well appreciated :)
1. As said above, build a "bunker" for pretreating. And if possible, don't pretreat in the same room where the printer stands (if not, set the printer as far as possible from pretreating station).

2. It's better to pretreat on the flat table beacause you have better control of the process. It's also good to roll the pretreated area to roll down the fibers which will occur after laying down the white ink. If you have a fibers straight up on white underbase, then after laying a color and curing you will see white dots where the fibers where. You can avoid that by covering the white underbase with parchment paper and lay the fibers down (I do it very often since it's hard to pretreat perfectly)

3. The sooner = the better. I spray, roll and cure.

4. I think even one year but again, the fresher = the better because there is a lot of dust in the air etc. Printing on fresh surface will give better results.

5. I don't but from what I heard, pretreating machines also needs maintenace and clogs sometimes, so I will wait until your buisness grow. I am into DTG for 4+ years and I still use Wagner sprayer.
See less See more
You can avoid that by covering the white underbase with parchment paper and lay the fibers down (I do it very often since it's hard to pretreat perfectly)
Thank you @ZErg but I don't quite understand what you meant by this, the white underbase bit, can you elaborate please?
thank you
When the white is already printed and you're about to press the button to print color, just take the paper that you use to cure the shirt, lay it on the white print and slightly push down by the hand. It will give you a smooth surface.
An automatic pretreater is the best way to apply pretreatment. If your budget doesn't allow for one then using a hand power sprayer is the next best way.

Just make sure you use the correct Wagner hand power sprayer. The one that is highly recommended is the Wagner Control Spray Double Duty.

_
Hi, I am about to buy my first DTG, I have read quite a few posts on pretreatment but there some unanswered questions I need,

Firstly, I will be working from home, I have 1 bedroom, bathroom and hall, the hall has no ventilation, the bathroom a small window, so I guess it's the bathroom.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I have to be 100% sure, before handing over my money, this is the first time I have ever done a bank transfer for such a large amount of cash, I would normally pay by card in case anything went wrong (knowing if anything went wrong I would be covered)
is it the norm for bank transfers on DTG printers? I believe the company are sound (please don't ask who) as they were at the printwear live, tho I am a little nervous and cautious.
sorry for sounding like an insecure mouse, iv'e been burnt before and just need some answers

Thank you for any replies :)
Do NOT pretreat in the same room as your printer. Definitely dont pretreat inside unless you have a speed treater or extremely good ventilation. I used an outdoor space to pretreat. after a year or so, the entire thing is covered in a white residue from over spray.

Make a angled stand to pretreat on. Spray the shirts evenly. Let sit for like an hour or so. Take them all and put them in your home dryer till completely dry.

OR

Spray evenly, hang on a hanger, and let a fan dry them. Both these techniques avoid overheating the pretreat and damage to the garment. I know this sounds unorthodox. But I have used it for a year and it works every time.

Once pretreated PROPERLY. You have about 15-30 days before you have to print.
Do NOT pretreat in the same room as your printer. Definitely dont pretreat inside unless you have a speed treater or extremely good ventilation. I used an outdoor space to pretreat. after a year or so, the entire thing is covered in a white residue from over spray.

Make a angled stand to pretreat on. Spray the shirts evenly. Let sit for like an hour or so. Take them all and put them in your home dryer till completely dry.

OR

Spray evenly, hang on a hanger, and let a fan dry them. Both these techniques avoid overheating the pretreat and damage to the garment. I know this sounds unorthodox. But I have used it for a year and it works every time.

Once pretreated PROPERLY. You have about 15-30 days before you have to print.
my supplier has told me to pretreat and the cure straight away??
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.