T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a cool store on Melrose the other day and saw a 1975 Led Zeppelin concert tee shirt for $500. A Grateful Dead ’88 Fall Tour shirt for $200.

Does anyone out there have any really old concert tee shirts they want to cash in on?

·
Registered
117 Posts
CoolHandLuke said:
I was in a cool store on Melrose the other day and saw a 1975 Led Zeppelin concert tee shirt for $500. A Grateful Dead ’88 Fall Tour shirt for $200.

Does anyone out there have any really old concert tee shirts they want to cash in on?
now thats the pricing i want to get into... hahaha

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I hate PayPal… therefore don't use eBay or Craig’s List or any of their other companies. Not an option for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i think I know which store ur talking about if your heading east on Melrose it should be on ur left handside? a yellow/cremeish building

I Love Melrose... haha does anyone know buyers inside the Fred Segal building?!?!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
CoolHandLuke said:
Unfortunately, I hate PayPal… therefore don't use eBay or Craig’s List or any of their other companies. Not an option for me.
You know you can pay for things through Paypal without having a Paypal account, just using a Visa or Mastercard? It's the seller who has to deal with them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
monkeylantern said:
You know you can pay for things through Paypal without having a Paypal account, just using a Visa or Mastercard? It's the seller who has to deal with them.
True... but you are still giving PayPal $$$! I don't play that way. "boys are stupid... throw rocks at them"!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
CoolHandLuke said:
True... but you are still giving PayPal $$$! I don't play that way. "boys are stupid... throw rocks at them"!

In many ways Paypal are evil, and unregulated.

But, and this is a big but, they are ubiquitous. Having the option of Paypal will increase sales, as the world and his wife have a Paypal account, and many do not trust a site that aaks for their creditcard details (when the site isn't a big one).

Paypal is like Windows. A necessary evil. Yes, there are alternatives. But choosing any of them locks you out of a lot of things.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True... but yet not. PayPal is a mere speck in time. Those who will only shop via Pay Pal today… will shop via NON PayPal tomorrow. Those who do not shop via the Internet today… will never know of PayPal!

At least that’s what my fortune cookie said!

How did this turn into a PayPal thread?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
As long as eBay is the big daddy, Paypal is the norm.

And eBay is not going away (at last check, eBay was 2 percent of the entire UK economy according to TIME. You heard that right. YE GAWDS!).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eBay is but a cloud over the speck!

Furthermore, people who are making money in the tee shirt arena… are not doing it through eBay or PayPal. If that's your marketing plan… all the more too you. But I’m not talking about moving a few shirts a day. I understand PayPal can help increase sales… as we speak. But if your business model depends on eBay or PayPal to increase sales… then it’s not much of a model now… is it?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
CoolHandLuke said:
eBay is but a cloud over the speck!

Furthermore, people who are making money in the tee shirt arena… are not doing it through eBay or PayPal. If that's your marketing plan… all the more too you. But I’m not talking about moving a few shirts a day. I understand PayPal can help increase sales… as we speak. But if your business model depends on eBay or PayPal to increase sales… then it’s not much of a model now… is it?

There are many, many ways of using eBay, regardless of your model.

One of the main ways is as a traffic funnel to your real site (I have a post on that if you dig about....it really does work), not selling on eBay per se.

But there are dozens, if not hundreds, of ebay tshirt sellers selling more than all but a handful of the top tshirt sites. Just a casual search will find many selling more than 2000 shirts a month, some up into 7000. And selling with $20 profit margins.

Yes, it's more a dirty flea market than a normal site....but dirty flea market with free advertsing and a dominant market share.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly… no one BIG in this industry is selling there or using trickery to drive traffic.

2000 a month through eBay is ROUGH! Tough nut to keep! 7000 a month... NO WAY!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
What exactly are your projected online turnover figures? I'd be mightly impressed if it was 80,000 shirts a year. I think many here would be absolutley delighted with that turnover. With the right sort of eBay set up, the vast majority of people can make a lot more money through eBay than an online store.

Certain areas are difficult to crack. Joke text based tees is one, the eBay market being so flooded, and I think Dick will agree, with his eBay sales being, i remember, good but in no way sensational. For those areas, traffic manipulation is probably the best option.

But almost every major brand has an eBay presense, or is in the process of constructing a store (often for end of stock and seconds, where there is often the most profit to me made). Occassionally even it's done through a false "Mom and Pop" front.

Recently I worked for a company doing just this. I met with one of the crack teams eBay sends out, and worked with them for quite a while. They have sent teams to almost every major brand there is, from Apple to Sony to Target, and many of the umbrella companies to often control industries, such as Otto, one of the biggest clothing retailers in the world. Many even have an eBay representative stationed in the company.

I'm not sure you realise how powerful, and a money mine, eBay is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts