T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, was going to put this in the classifieds, but couldnt find a UK section??

I am selling my versacamm VP-540 and looking to purchase a number plate printing set up instead. I have the versacamm listed with loads of extras on eBay but was wondering if anyone was selling a plate printer & jig etc.

Thanks in Advance,
Sam

· Registered
33 Posts
Hi Sam, would love to know why you're selling the Versacamm and wanting a number plate setup ?

I am in the opposite situation, have been making plates for over 17yrs and now looking for a Versacamm or similar for various other markets.

Believe me, there is more money to be earnt with a Versacamm than a number plate printer, especially these days ! :confused:

Ian

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically it's space, I no longer have the space to keep it. Also, I'm moving into a very different line of business which will absorb most of my time - whilst there is good money to be made, it only works if you can dedicate the time to it - which in my case I no longer can. Combine that with a few personal reasons and hence the sale.

I think if it doesn't sell during the listing I'll realist it for more, as the need to sell will be reduced by then, so if Any one is interested grab it while it's cheap.

· Registered
501 Posts
Have you looked into the 'legalaties' of selling car number plates in the U.K?
I was also considering going into this line and did a lot of research into finding suppliers in the U.K that not only supply the kit to make the number plates but also supply the blank number plates and consumables, a lot of research!
I was 'scared off' by the legal situation regarding selling number plates online!
Maybe i'm just to honest!

Phil

· Registered
33 Posts
Yep, I'm not surprised at all !

It is virtually impossible to supply legal plates mail order. Original copies of ownership proof and vehicle details must be seen and a record kept, no photocopies or faxes allowed, means sending through post slows down the process and most people are unwilling to send precious docs by post anyway.

That means the only option is to supply a 'showplate' but as of early 2008 (I think?) anything with a reg. no. on it is classified as anumber plate, and if not made up legally correct, the manufacturer is liable for a £5000 fine ! :mad:

Trust me there's is very little money in them compared to 10 yrs ago especially when they are being advertised on Ebay for £5.50 inc P&P !!

· Registered
501 Posts
Trust me there's is very little money in them compared to 10 yrs ago especially when they are being advertised on Ebay for £5.50 inc P&P !!
This is probably the guy who is selling over 3000 number plates a month:eek: This caught my eye!
If he is only making £1 per plate after fees, still not a bad living!
But as you say above a few 5 grand fines soon cuts into the profit, and a term at Her Majesty's Pleasure takes the shine off the business:)
Number plates..............not for me thanks!

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.