T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm a screenprinter looking into vinyl transfers and I'm slightly confused over something. I know there are lots of you here with vinyl experience and was hoping you could clarify if for me!

I've read lots of posts on vinyl transfers and I know about plotters and cutters and such and I also gathered that vinyl comes in rolls of colours. What I don't get is that looking at vinyl transfers, you can get some designs with 4 or five colours in it - take a picture of a girl for example. The eyes and mouth and lines of the nose are ontop of the colour that forms the face. Because the vinyl comes in rolls of single colours, my question is:
how do you go about putting an image like that together?
Do you have to line up the various colours when you're heat pressing the design? Surely that doesn't make much sense... and when I look at vinyl designs on clothes it always looks like a single sheet...

I hope I made my question clear! It's all a bit confused in my head! :rolleyes:

Thanks
Annie

·
Registered
950 Posts
With vinyl transfers, it's true that you can press one color of vinyl onto the previous color of vinyl, but you should consider the hand (feel of thickness) of the finished product. The way I do it is if the next layered color is just little bits of detail then I go ahead and press it right on top of the previous color. This will have very little effect on -hand-. However, if the next layer is a larger area of color, before I finish the design within the software, I punch out the hidden areas of color. This eliminates a whole layer of vinyl and helps keep -hand- to a minimum.

In order to help with registration, (alignment of the colors) I go back to the lower layers and extend the curves so that they will get slightly overlapped by the next color to be applied. This makes it much easier to get the colors layered without an accidental gap between the colors.

This process is a little more work, but produces a softer hand.

If however you are working on and toward a garment that has a heavier hand, which seems to be gaining popularity in some design styles like Urban for instance, then you can just layer the vinyl without worrying about it.

I still limit the layering to 3 colors in that case.

Really, if there are too many colors or too much quantity, I start to look at Plastisol transfers if darks are involved or regular ink jet transfers for lights.

Vinyl transfers are more labor intensive than some other options, but there are many benefits to vinyl transfers also. Light colored lettering and other design elements are sharp as a tack on dark colored t-shirts for instance, and have no unwanted background to worry about.

·
Registered
217 Posts
what you're talking about a photo being put together would be impossible with vinyl transfers, we use inkjet transfer paper for darks that prints the image in best photo quality and and cut it with a vinyl cutter and then heat press but not really putting different colors of vinyl together to make up a pic, ha! that's ridi to the culous =o

·
Registered
8 Posts
well you could use siser vinyl. Its designed to be printed on. it seems to be real easy havnt got a chance to try it out yet but if I do it here soon Ill let you know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts