T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a customer complain that after they washed a vinyl transfer shirt we made that it started to peel off after it was washed. I was told that vinyl has excellent washability. Could this be because I might have pressed it too long? I noticed if I press it too long, the vinyl backing is a lot harder to peel off after it cools and i thought maybe that pulled the vinyl up when we peeled that part off? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I don't wait for tranfers to cool. it seems to come out glossier that way, some people like it. Also what company are you using for transfers. I just used a sample from Coastal Jet dark from Coastal Business on a black shirt and wore it and told my wife to wash it expecting it to come out like a lot of what I have been using, not real nice. wow was I impressed. A little stiff but not like a lot of them. Pre heat for 3 seconds at 350 degree and pressed at 6 seconds. Oh, and I use 100% cotton

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use thermoflex plus. Are you talking about regular inkjet heat transfers or vinyl off the roll?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, never heard of that in their instructions. Should there be anything over the vinyl during the 2nd press? Like that parchment paper people use for dark fabric transfers? Or just right on the vinyl? I would think it would stick.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
kilerb said:
Wow, never heard of that in their instructions. Should there be anything over the vinyl during the 2nd press? Like that parchment paper people use for dark fabric transfers? Or just right on the vinyl? I would think it would stick.
I agree...wrong and not in the instructions what so ever. One press at 350 to 375 at 20-30 seconds with hard pressure. If you are using neons over timing and temping will create a sticky environment on the vinyl. The carrier glues will adhere to the surface of the vinyl and get it real sticky. If you want to do a second press after removing the carrier film....use clean typing paper over the design and press for 5-10 seconds. I do this everyday and it works perfectly!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I double press thermoflex as well - first at 360 for 15 seconds - use a dry erase eraser (a cloth will work as well I think) and rub over the clear sheet before removing it - then cover with teflon sheet and press again for 15 seconds - all at very firm pressure - no problems with any I have done so far

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
camconcay said:
I double press thermoflex as well - first at 360 for 15 seconds - use a dry erase eraser (a cloth will work as well I think) and rub over the clear sheet before removing it - then cover with teflon sheet and press again for 15 seconds - all at very firm pressure - no problems with any I have done so far
No problem there because your times are correct...20-30 seconds and yes I rub the clear sheet with a cloth. If you over clock the neons you will transfer the carrier glue to the surface of the vinyl. Try it and touch the vinyl...it will be very sticky and pick up every bit of lint in the dryer when you wash it. When I do overlays....first color gets 10-15 seconds and the second color gets 20 seconds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys... I appreciate all the feedback. I actually combined a couple suggestions. I've been doing 15-20 seconds at about 385 two times with a hot peel. I do use the parchment paper since I have a zillion sheets of it right next to the press. I just don't like the idea of plastic or vinyl right on the platen. I guess either way works fine anyway. Feels like the vinyl is part of the fabric now. Thanks...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts