T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all. I have ordered a cutter and am now wondering about
vinyl. I want something cheap just to play with and have fun to learn my cutter ect. I see deals on Ebay for like 5 24" x 10' rolls multi color for like 80 bucks with shipping. It says 3 mill calendered indoor outdoor vinyl. Anyone ever check that stuff out? it all seems to be the same on ebay. Like I said I just want it to play around with but not if it's total crap.

Please give me your expertise...:D

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
vinyl. I want something cheap just to play with and have fun to learn my cutter ect. I see deals on Ebay for like 5 24" x 10' rolls multi color for like 80 bucks with shipping. It says 3 mill calendered indoor outdoor vinyl. Anyone ever check that stuff out? it all seems to be the same on ebay. Like I said I just want it to play around with but not if it's total crap.

Thanks

If you're just using it to play with then it should be ok. After you're done playing and are ready to put out some orders, I would get cast vinyl. The cost is not much more then calendered but the quaility is far better. Do a few searches in the forums and im sure you will come up with answers to all your questions.Good Luck!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd try FDC 4200 series or Oracal 651, which is available in a lot of colors. Once my stock of FDC runs out I may switch to Oracal 651 due to the increased color selection. FDC 4200 works great; I just prefer the bigger choice.

About the ebay vinyl, if it's emc500 from earlmichco just email and ask for a sample. I have some on the way.

Mind you with any vinyl you buy it's possible to get a bad roll (happened to me a couple of times). If a particular color of vinyl is weeding poorly compared to other colors of the same series it may be defective or old.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I take it that your talking about sign vinyl and not garment vinyl. Two different things. Garment vinyl such as Thermoflex plus is more expensive than sign vinyl. You did not say where you want to go with your business. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

Thanks
Noah,

Another consideration when buying vinyl from a place like eBay is that vinyl does have a shelf life (adhesive), and while it seems cheap enough who knows just how old it is (coulda' been distressed stock sold off), just something to consider, it should be fine to play around with but calendered vinyl doesn't last long out doors before it starts to peel up on the edges.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another reason I will probably be switching to Oracal 651. The FDC 4200 I use only has a one year shelf life and I've already come across two suspect rolls. The Oracal 651 has a shelf life of two years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I bought my cutter I ordered some rolls from eBay to play around with. I have not had any problems with the vinyl. But I also purchased some Oracle 651 at the same time for customer orders. I have decals all over my beer fridge from practicing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for all to have replied!!!! I am planning on using vinyl for t shirts, decals, and signs.
I think will just leave the ebay stuff on ebay and buy some rolls of proper stuff. Any recommended sellers on here?

Thanks again for all the info!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Preferred vendor list on the left is a good starting point. Some of them will send you samples at no charge or they have sample packs with different types for a small charge. Also look on the forum as there is much great advice from the members.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Specialty Graphics for FDC because of the forum discount as well as a discount if you buy a machine from them, Ordway Sign for Oracal. They're pretty good as a one stop place; they carry quite a few brands of vinyl and such including both FDC and Oracal. For t-shirt vinyl, Specialty Graphics for Siser Easyweed and thermoflex, and if you shop imprintables they have ecofilm which, to my understanding, is just rebranded easyweed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts