T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if it was possible to use vinyl on wool varsity jackets? If so, what is the best vinyl for this material?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has done this successfully. My first guess would be no...not because it's wool, but because it is not a smooth enough surface. It seems to me that the vinyl would "float" on top of the fibers, rather than adhere to the base of the fabric.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think your right Michelle, I venture to say even with high pressure the result would not be good. ... JB

·
Registered
938 Posts
I wanted to know if it was possible to use vinyl on wool varsity jackets? If so, what is the best vinyl for this material?
Yes Pete, there is vinyl that will adhere to Wool.

Specialty Materials ThermoFlex Plus does. You can buy a roll of this material or a cut sheet from Specialty Graphics.

Also, check the heat applied materials offered by Stahls' ID (CAD CUT), Hot Fix Films and Siser North America, as they may have material that bonds to Wool as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Do you guys think that flock will hold up on this material(wool)?
Depends on what brand of flock you want to use. If you have a brand in mind, find out from the manufacturer if it will bond with wool.

For example, according to Hix regarding their flock transfers:

"HIX flock transfers can be applied to any substrate that can withstand heat between 325-350°F. Example: Shirts, Shorts, Purses, Pillowcases, Blankets, Curtains, Terry Cloth, Rugs, Underwear, Sleepwear, Chairs, Bags, Jerseys, School Uniforms, Draperies, Mouse pads, felt and more..."

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't think you can assume that because a vinyl can be used on wool, that it will work with any wool.

It's going to depend on the weave or process of the wool itself. There is a huge difference between a wool ball cap and a wool letterman jacket...the cap being a smooth woven fabric, and the jacket being more of a felt type finish.

A vinyl that works with cotton for example, will work fine on a cotton tee, but not on a cotton looped terry towel.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I don't think you can assume that because a vinyl can be used on wool, that it will work with any wool.

It's going to depend on the weave or process of the wool itself. There is a huge difference between a wool ball cap and a wool letterman jacket...the cap being a smooth woven fabric, and the jacket being more of a felt type finish.

A vinyl that works with cotton for example, will work fine on a cotton tee, but not on a cotton looped terry towel.
I agree Nichelle, I use some vinyl on hats and shirts, but terrt cloth would be a nightmare. ... JB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts