T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a number of garments from Ash City and I'm trying to decide which ones I'm going to apply vinyl to and which ones I'm going to be forced to put embroidery on.
My dilemna is that all of Ash's clothing seems to say cool iron. So I called them to find out what that meant and was told they didn't know what the max temperature was, but that 160 was a hot iron.

Does anyone have experience to know which products are safe to press anyway and if I need to alter my application method to accomodate a lower temperature.
I use JotoPaper's MultiCut and Stahl's Fashion Film

·
Registered
721 Posts
What is the fabric content of the shirt?

It might be possible that the shirt can take a higher temp, but that ironing it at a higher temp would create a shine on the material. If you're using a teflon sheet, that would reduce the risk of creating that shine.

Now, mind you, I'm just guessing here. Without knowing the fabric content, I can't say for sure.

I noticed that F&M Expressions has an EcoColor formula transfer that you press at a low temp -- 250 degrees.

I would call them and ask for a sample, try it on one of the shirts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the fabric content of the shirt?

It might be possible that the shirt can take a higher temp, but that ironing it at a higher temp would create a shine on the material. If you're using a teflon sheet, that would reduce the risk of creating that shine.

Now, mind you, I'm just guessing here. Without knowing the fabric content, I can't say for sure.

I noticed that F&M Expressions has an EcoColor formula transfer that you press at a low temp -- 250 degrees.

I would call them and ask for a sample, try it on one of the shirts.

Thanks deChez, but I know I'm not looking for silk screen. I'm not a big fan of that print method except for large volume, low quality projects.

The fabric types vary:
70% recycled polyester/30% yarn wicking polyester.
70% rayon (from bamboo)/30% cotton.
50% recycled polyester/50% yarn wicking polyester.
53% combed cotton/47% polyester interlock.
94% combed cotton/6% spandex jersey.
100% high count polyester with water resistant coating

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, I see your dilemma. I don't really know if recycled poly acts differently when heat pressed.

I guess since no one else has chimed in, I would just bite the bullet and test some shirts to find out for myself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
If shine is the worst I get I can deal with that. Worse comes to worse, I just press the rest so it matches, then bat my eyes and play innocent ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have some 100% Polyester light weight jackets and I;m embroidering the front but they want Viinyl on the back and I'm nervous because is says "cool iron on the tag" I have eco film that I;m going to put on them and I was wondering if I should use teflon sheet or craft paper-I personal have used both but haven't seen a difference in the shine on the vinyl. I'll be trying one tonite.
Kimsie

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only use the Teflon sheet, I keep it attached to the upper platen. Teflon will reduce the mylar markings when the second layer has a smaller area than the first. Just press an extra 5 seconds after the final layer of mylar is removed. Kraft paper won't do the same.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks.
If shine is the worst I get I can deal with that. Worse comes to worse, I just press the rest so it matches, then bat my eyes and play innocent ;)
LOL...I think as long as you use a teflon sheet, or parchment paper, or kraft paper, you should be fine. Usually, the shine happens on fabrics when the heat meets the fabric directly; and usually happens more on dark colors. That's why us old broads use a pressing cloth to iron our black jeans.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I am too late responding to your question but I don't see any issues using heat on the above blends. I use heat on 70 bamboo/30 cotton and also 68 bamboo/ 28 cotton / 4 lycra with no problem.
Not too late at all. I chose to get most of those embroidered this round, but I'm working with shirts from this supplier regularly, so it will come up again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts