T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I am new...doing this only a few short days. Have pressed several items w/ and w/o bling. So, am becoming pretty comfortable w/ both the machines and software.

For some reason, today when I went to press a vinyl onto a shirt, it won't adhere everywhere. I have upped the pressure, increased the time and pressed it several times...probably too many. Can I press it so much I ruined the vinyl?

Thanks,

Lisa

· Registered
2,285 Posts
is the vinyl new? The only things I can think of:
-its backwards you cut the wrong side
-its not heat press vinyl
-the press isn't producing enough heat

HPV is forgiving and if a good quality you can repress several times.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
If it is apparel vinyl, there will be a shiny side and a dull side. The dull side is the adhesive side and should go down. You cut the dull side. Remember to reverse your image. Sign vinyl is shiny on one side and normally a paper backer. I have never tried to heat press sign vinyl so do not know what the results would be. Do you know what brand of vinyl you are using?

· Registered
3,906 Posts
Did you prepress your fabric? Moisture in the fabric can cause the vinyl to not stick too. Or it could be defective vinyl that is missing part of the adhesive in those spots. You might even be too high or too low on your temp. Are you peeling cold, warm, or hot? Different types of vinyl peel under different temps too.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for coming to my aide...

1. Yes, it IS heat press fabric vinyl...I have used the same roll for other shirts this week.

2. Yes, I did press the shirt first to remove moisture.

3. Part of the vinyl is sticking...dull side face down, so I know it's on the correct way.

4. I checked and rechecked the temp recommendations and gone to the higher end (330 - 335: I went up to 335). I also increased the press time to the higher time (17-20 seconds...I went up to 20).

5. I increased the pressure.

6. I have been peeling warm from this same roll. Today I tried peeling cold...I waited about 30 minutes after pressing and almost all of it had adhered {after the 8th or 9th press!!}

7. I layered, adding one more color and this seemed to help the pieces that hadn't totally adhered to stick.

Is it possible that part of a roll could be defective? Is this something I should go back to manufacturer about?

Again...THANK YOU for responding so quickly. This forum is amazing!

Lisa

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Too much heat, time & pressure can cause the adhesive to setup before it has a chance to bond to the fabric....Just the right heat, time & pressure allows the molten adhesive to settle into fabric and give you the best results.....
While this is true, the mamag did press and wait and it did work.

I have seen where vinyl has come off and then repressed at a later time and it worked fine.

@mamag, yes its possible to have damaged vinyl I am not sure about part of it. How is your environment? Excessive heat and moisture can cause damage to the vinyl causing these types of problems.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ dazzabling - I store the vinyl in our home office...computers, printers, plotter all in same environment so don't think it's a storage issue. Most likely I did - or didn't do - something I should have done.

Again, thanks!

· Registered
9,864 Posts
What is the brand of your vinyl?

Cut a strip of vinyl into something like 1 inch squares. Do what is similar to a step wedge test in screen printing. Put one of those squares on a piece of garment then press at 325F for 5 seconds. Then place another square on the garment and press for 10 seconds. Next at 15 seconds if needed. Also check the previously pressed squares. I'd stop here and proceed to 330F 5 seconds, and so forth.

I'd also stop at 340F (and if things still fail) re-start at 320F down to 310F.

If it still does not work buy another vinyl and try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.