T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous post i have stated i have a problem with my vinyl cutter. I have a Secabo vinyl cutting machine & was supplied with a number of different knives when purchased. These were for various fonts...some knives are stated for small fonts & some just for fonts....there are also what they call standard knives.

I'm having issues with cutting certain designs where lines are not perfectly meeting...This only happens in minimal parts of a slightly complex design or on fonts. My font's don't always come out that great. Some letters are perfect while one 1 or 2 letters give me a problem where they might be slightly off cut & a line hasn't joined or the letters have slightly curved corners instead of perfectly straight edges!.

Do people bother with changing knives for fonts? Most of my fonts aren't that small but i seem to be getting problems when i cut font's of any size, not just small, so not sure if it really could be the knives i'm using? Do people change knives when they cut different sized font's. I just want to cut my jobs as quickly as possible but i'm finding if i switched knives to cut seperate fonts this would take jobs so much longer...whats people ideas on this?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hello Dave...

With vinyl cutters, the type of blade (or, knife) that is used is based solely upon the type of material being cut. Generally, people cut heat applied materials (PVC, Flock/Suede, Glitter and others), vehicle vinyl, sign vinyl and more.

All of these materials have different physical properties which require a certain blade be used to cut (i.e., Flock material requires a larger blade than what is used to cut PVC). I have not heard that a blade should be changed because of the type of font being cut.

Check out the Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) and Transfers sub-forums for info about cutters, blades, materials used with them and more. ;)

If you can post a pic of what is going wrong with your cut, that may help us better help you with correcting.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I use 60 degree blades for EVERYTHING and changed my blade about a month ago and that was the first time in over 6 months.

Sounds to me you have a knife offset problem, which can be corrected in your software.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts