T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I've been reading on the net that using a vinyl cutter/plotter to cut out text for tees is a good way to go. Has anyone here used this method? If so, what do you think? My real question is this... If you make a text image and have the cutter do it's thing and cut out the letters. Do you have to put the letters on the shirt one at a time before you heat press it? Or can you somehow take the letters all at once with accurate spacing and put it on the tee before pressing? Is this the way to go for custom text tees in quantities of 1 or 2? Screen printing is not an option for me because of the fact that these will be custom tees in such small quantities. Transfer paper seems to be out for text since it transfers that "Square" around the image with the text. Plastisol needs to be ordered in advance and I can't do it from home. Any other methods I'm missing? I think dye sub is only good for lighter colored shirts right? Thanks in advance!!! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Vinyl is the perfect solution to the onesie twosie market - and I use them in qty. up to two or three dozen before going to screen printing - depending on the graphic.

The vinyl is cut by the cutter (your graphic/text is in reverse). You weed away the excess vinyl that is not part of your design/text. the backing (in most cases - but not all brands) is adhesive and that adheres to the shirt before pressing. A heat press is required and after pressing for the mfg. specified time/temp/pressure, you remove the backing.

I have a sweatshirt that has been washed literally a hundred times and after all this time the very pointy edges of the text have lifted in some places - so small you can't even get ahold of it, but if you rub your hand over it you can feel it. If I chose to I could repress and they would probably be down for another hundred washes! Quality product!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, so there is a backing and the letters stay in place on the backing so you don't have to space them out one at a time? Also, how does the cutter not cut the backing? isn't it like 1/1000th of a millimeter? Seems like it would cut right through?

·
Registered
949 Posts
kilerb said:
Oh, so there is a backing and the letters stay in place on the backing so you don't have to space them out one at a time? Also, how does the cutter not cut the backing? isn't it like 1/1000th of a millimeter? Seems like it would cut right through?
Yes, the vinyl layer and the backing layer are both quite thin, but a vinyl cutter (a good one) is a precision machine capable of cutting only the vinyl layer, and leaving the backing uncut.

Also, when working with heat transfer vinyl, you cut the design in mirrored image, also known as reversed or flipped. It will read backwards after you weed it, but will be correct after you place it face down on the shirt and press it.

For text, and even single color graphics, it can't be beat as a method for small quantity runs. Multi colors can be done also.

As quantities get bigger, or graphics get more detailed or have numerous colors, then other methods are preferable.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What if the material you are using does not have a sticky backing.... What can you use that will come off easy after pressing??

Ambrelee
Taylor Tees

·
Registered
503 Posts
I havent come across a garment material that has a "sticky" backing. The adhesive is heat activated. I use Spectra Cut to EasyWeed and even with a mid range cutter you can do some great looking stuff. I use my cutter damn near nonstop. In the 6 hours I have after work. I run mine about 4 hours. I cut everything from stickers and text/graphics for banner to the stuff my customer request for paintball jerseys. The material the is the release film is about 3 mil thick and much stiffer than the vinyl. this makes is easier to work with. The vinyl itself pretty flimsy by itself. As stated, short are where cad cut vinyl shines, but I live behind my cutter so even long runs of stickers are easy once you get the hang. My longest run for sign vinyl has been 500 stickers that measured 3" by 4" with a fair amount of weeding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts