T-Shirt Forums banner

Vinyl cutter for cutting tough laminate

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  soniczed 
#1 ·
Hi, I bought a Summa 120R a few years ago and it has worked great for cutting vinyl and for contour cutting printed material using typical luster 3mil laminate. I am now trying to cut thicker tougher material, a 5mil polycarbonate laminate, and I can not get a good cut on it. The material is tough with a slight texture, it is used for arcade control panels. I can get my cutter to cut through it, but the tests cuts are not crisp, the lines that are supposed to be straight are slightly curved, the depth is not consistent. I have tried a 45 and 60 degree blade, the 45 is better, but still not good. I have tried different depth and pressure, to no avail. Also. the material does not lay flat and I have to hold it down or the head will hit it. It would work better if there were more wheels holding the vinyl down.

I think I need a higher end cutter and I wanted to get some recommendation, has anyone had any luck with other brands of cutters with cutting thicker, tougher materials?

#4 ·
Thanks guys,

I set it up to do multiple passes and it did work better. The depth is still not consistant, so I am basically printing/laminating two, just to get one job out the door, but at least I am getting them out now.

I think my best bet is to go to my local suppliers with the material on hand and see what some other machines can do. The material I cut is typicaly no wider than 24" so I may just pick up a higher end smaller tangent summa cutter, and keep my current summa for everything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.