T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Couple more things to check while waiting for tech support....

I know it's new but problem solving is often a process of elimination, so you also need to make sure there's no foreign matter like vinyl shavings or anything else within the blade holder.

I have seen similar issues with good artwork, but it was caused by trying to maximize the area available on a scrap piece of vinyl, which was allowing the vinyl to ripple at times while cutting. So in your case I would also be making sure that all of the rollers are providing sufficient grip on your vinyl and that the piece of vinyl you're cutting is not too small.

Having said that, a new machine unable to cut a satisfactory test cut definitely points to a manufacturing issue.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
4 test cuts?

did you try the pen yet to see if it you are having issues like Jynx mentioned?

you are not even close to the number needed to dial in a new machine as a first time user of a cutter
you have to let your font go for now and focus on test cuts, test cuts, test cuts

once you get that accomplished, and you get to intimately know your machine, then you can probably get away with 4 test cuts for a new material

·
Registered
1 Posts
Of course, if you need to cut vinyl very often, then a vinyl cutter is the best choice, but isn't it better to use an excellent durable blade than trying to fix the cutter? Plenty of good knives can handle cutting such durable plastic, especially if you apply some force. How are you doing with physical fitness? Haha, just kidding. Try to sharpen the blade of your cutter with a file. Some new cutter blades are sold, not sharpened. You know, S happens. If it doesn't help you, you'll have to replace the blade. I buy my own on SafetyCutters.net - Where Customer Service Counts.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I check my blade tips with a 40x magnifier (jewellers loupe). It's amazing how a tiny chip or blunt edge can destroy your workpieces, even though the blade looks ok to the naked eye.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts