T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the best vinyl cutter to get that I could print my design on heat transfer paper
and put it through the cutter to cut registration marks.
I was reading on the graphtec craft robo but i wanted some opinions.
What program would be the best compatible that would create these registration marks so the cutter recognizes it.
Does this method work good or does it just cut out squares and circles because I can do that by hand.
Its cutting around lettering and designs that takes the most time.
Also is one paper better then the other .Right now I have jet pro paper.
Thanks

· Registered
2,690 Posts
I was wondering what the best vinyl cutter to get that I could print my design on heat transfer paper
and put it through the cutter to cut registration marks.
I was reading on the graphtec craft robo but i wanted some opinions.
What program would be the best compatible that would create these registration marks so the cutter recognizes it.
Does this method work good or does it just cut out squares and circles because I can do that by hand.
Its cutting around lettering and designs that takes the most time.
Also is one paper better then the other .Right now I have jet pro paper.
Thanks
A cutter with a optical eye is what you would want for this application, it will follow the contour of the image and cut.

The program you are using now may or may not create registration marks and if it does not then you could use Corel Draw or adobe illustrator with Corel draw being the least expensive between the two.

Hope this helps..

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get a GX-24 for about $1800 or a Puma III for about $1250. Both cutters have an optical eye and support contour cutting.
So if it contour cuts then lets say on a dark tshirt
transfer where its harder to peel away the backing
do you always have to leave an an excess area
to stretch away from the backing,and then cut
it after the backing is peeled away.
Thanks

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with the Roland GX24 - it is a bombproof machine that will run for years. Mine is over 7 years old and still running.
Yea that seems to be the consensus.
Thanks

· Registered
353 Posts
Thanks

What do you mean when you say harder to peel away the backing? After you print for a dark shirt, you can contour cut as close as you want to the graphic. After that you'll use some transfer tape to move the graphic from the paper to your shirt.

· Registered
353 Posts
I have both a Puma III and a GX-24 and they are both great cutters and get the job done well. I'm actually selling my GX-24 and it's still in prestine condition. The reason for selling is simply because I don't need both. I think you'll be happy with either of those cutters.

· Registered
986 Posts
IMO, I know your budget is $1500, but if you want contour cutting, and you are just starting off, then I would consider the Silhouette Cameo Cutter. It's only 12" in width, but it's known for its easy to use Contour cutting software. I personally wouldn't invest over $1000 in any equipment if i'm just starting off. I would seriously take baby steps and learn the art of vinyl cutting, and contour cutting, and preparing your designs for these features in the softwares that you will be using. Then, once you gain knowledge of the process, and sales pick up, i would upgrade to the GX24. Well at least that's what my plans are. That extra money you would save buying a Silhouette Cameo could be used for purchasing Easy Weed Vinyl. :)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMO, I know your budget is $1500, but if you want contour cutting, and you are just starting off, then I would consider the Silhouette Cameo Cutter. It's only 12" in width, but it's known for its easy to use Contour cutting software. I personally wouldn't invest over $1000 in any equipment if i'm just starting off. I would seriously take baby steps and learn the art of vinyl cutting, and contour cutting, and preparing your designs for these features in the softwares that you will be using. Then, once you gain knowledge of the process, and sales pick up, i would upgrade to the GX24. Well at least that's what my plans are. That extra money you would save buying a Silhouette Cameo could be used for purchasing Easy Weed Vinyl. :)
Thanks
Ive heard good things about the Silhouette Cameo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.