T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a few of shirts we made for ourselves start to crack recently. We haven't heard back from any of our customers that they have had this problem. It's all been on 50/50 blend Jerzees sweatshirts. We're following the directions for the vinyl on heat/pressure/length of press. Has anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Need to know what vinyl your using. Are you using a teflon cover sheet? Pre-streching shirt and after press? Post press with teflon sheet? Soooo many questions...so little time. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Need to know what vinyl your using. Are you using a teflon cover sheet? Pre-streching shirt and after press? Post press with teflon sheet? Soooo many questions...so little time. :)
I've been heatpressing vinyl for 10 yrs. I've never heard of Pre-stretching a shirt. I do Post pressing but why to you use teflon. How do these steps help the final product?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Are the details real fine? I found t vinyl is more prone to cracking the thinner your lines are. Maybe you need to find better vinyl as there are some made for spandex etc. and are more able to stretch.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Judy: Found through trial and error that...wait...I use Thermoflex plus....If I press using a teflon sheet, the colors come out a little brighter. Sorry about the pre-streching thing. I was thinging about transfers. I up my temp about 5 degrees and press for 5 seconds more. I then post press with teflon for 10 seconds. Result is very soft hand and long lasting. Customers tell me the shirt goes before the lettering. I also do a lot of photo JPSS along with vinyl. Comes out great but thats for another post.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do a lot of vinyl and have had issues with some cracking. I use Eco film for all my stuff as I find it is very easy to weed and can do small details. Yes the thinner the lines the easier it is to crack. As far as Teflon sheets yes I use it always as I gave it taped to my top platen anyway. Pre stretching I've never heard of but the stretch that might be applied to the product as it's being heated can very well affect the outcome and cracking. For instance if you were doing a ribbed tank top you would stretch it somewhat so when it is worn the design looks normal so I can see after awhile it would crack. As for your problem you just have to realize that vinyl is a solid material heated to a shirt or sweatshirt and after awhile being worn, being stretched by putting the shirt on and taking it off numerous times and also being wash is going to eventually crack the vinyl.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We've had a few of shirts we made for ourselves start to crack recently. We haven't heard back from any of our customers that they have had this problem. It's all been on 50/50 blend Jerzees sweatshirts. We're following the directions for the vinyl on heat/pressure/length of press. Has anyone had this happen?
What type of vinyl are you using?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're using ecofilm and a maxx press. I'm not able to look at what I have written for time/temp, going from memory I believe it's 10 seconds at 305. No teflon sheet.

·
Registered
911 Posts
it wouldnt hurt to try other samples, i use thermoflex and have shirts that have been to some wild parties and strange couches and still holding good. I recently tried multicut from jotos and it cuts/weeds nice ... havent had a chance for wash testing yet.
If it washes good then i'll stick with these products but would be open to trying others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're going to pick up some thermoflex from a local supplier. It's a little more than the ecofilm, but since they're local, there's no shipping, it might come out about equal.

Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts