T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been reading alot here and learning alot.
My question.
If I have this right, as I buy pruducts to get started, I wonder what colors to all get.
With shirt vinyl, any color will work with any color shirt?
Black vinyl on a white shirt?
White Vinyl on a Black shirt?
I have read so much, I remember reading about black on a white shirt not working the best but I do not think it was for vinyl?
So, as I buy stuff, I dont want to buy alot of items that will not work together.
With Vinyl, will pretty much any color work with any color shirt?
Also, as for cold peel or hot peel. I guess I dont totally understand this either, is one better for a certain color then another??

Thanks for any input.:)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I suggest you buy White,Black,Red vinyl. I like Eco-film and Hotmark 70 they are both great products. I have heard a lot of people who like multi cut it comes in 20 inch rolls( this will give you more for your money). I would also get any vinyl colors that you might use for school stuff in your area. I know the Hotmark is cold peel and the other 2 can be peeled either way. ..... JB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply- I have been looking at all kinds of brands and those mentioned are on the list :). As for the colors. Can any color of vinyl go on any color shirt? Or should I stay away from some combos? And cold peel? Hot peel??? Warm peel?? What is the differance?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The difference in peel temperature is when the Mylar backing can be peeled away. I like hot peel because it allows me to peel quick and go to the next one without coming back to peel later. I have done all types of color combos ( including tone on tone). .... JB

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I had some samples sent to me by another vendor that sells the Hot fix. I think the Hot fix glitter is a superior product. I think the other varieties are good too. ... JB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I will give Hot Fix a try- I would just be trying the regular vinyl to start- anyone with bad experiance with it??

Also, On heat presses!!:confused:
I want to spend around 400 (ya I know):eek:- Yes, I have done tons of searching- almost 2 much;) I am more confused.
I would like to buy new. I see some 11x15 presses around this range new (Mighty Press Lite)-
My question- When you see the size of presses, whether is be 11x15, 15x15, etc. What is the actual usable space size.?? I would think I do not want my vinyl to be right on the edge on the press when pressing do I? how close can you get and still get 100% contact??

Thank again??

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Russ when it comes to a heat press the platen size minimum to look at is a 15x15. this will allow you to do any size shirt without a lot of difficulty. The vinyl can be placed about a 1/4 inch fro the edge without a issue. If I was looking to spend $400, I would look on Ebay for a name brand used press. The name brand press have life time warranty in the heating elements. I have bought used press' and have had great luck. .... JB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I know that the 15" is the way to go for the long run. I just look at a pc. of cardboard I cut out 11" x 15" and it is big when placed on my chest. I suppose for numbers and letters on the back of a T, the 15" will be nice!!

Thanks JB

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The time you save on alignment and placement issues will pay for a larger press. I have some issues with the 15x15 and 3x and larger garments. .... JB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts