T-Shirt Forums banner

vintage look from plastisols?

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  T-BOT 
#1 ·
Do plastisol transfer give a soft feel? I want a vintage, soft look where the design feels as if it is part of the shirt. Could I get this with transfers or is silkscreening better?

#2 ·
annaylee said:
Do plastisol transfer give a soft feel? I want a vintage, soft look
The 70's vintage shirts were done with Litho-Type-Transfers for the full color look and with Screen Printed type inks for the spot-color-transfer designs look.

We have emmulated this look for various brands but the artwork designed as a vintage old look is key to make such today.

hope this helps some. :)

#7 ·
Plastisol tends to be a very soft print, but it's not quite 'in the shirt. You'll probably want to go with DTG Pritning or Dye sublimation if you want the print to really be a part of the shirt itself. You might consider seeing if you could get someone to send you out a sample shirt with a plastisol print to see for yourself how it looks and feels.

#8 ·
From what I have read you can either use a water based ink (dries quickly and can clog the screen), dye sublimation (needs to be a high poly count shirt), discharge ink (must be outsourced), or Rutland chino base ink (only heard that it is a soft hand feel ink).

Personally I will be trying the Rutland chino base for a few shirts in next summers line.

#9 ·
if you are trying to make vintage looking shirts like from the 70's, plastisol is the best way. THese original vintage shirts from the 70's for example, you DO feel the ink on the shirts (very soft too).

Also, the 70's vintage t-shirts, like The Rolling Stones full-color type Transfers, were made with Lithograph Type Transfers. Again, you can make Litho-transfers today.

You just need the artwork done to make them look old and worn-in. :D

It's that simple. There is no secret formula. :)

#11 ·
annaylee said:
are Lithograph Type Transfers same as plastisol transfers?
nope.

These are the transfers that made the 70's vintage shirts popular today.
Direct to Shirt Screen printing is NOT possible to get this 70's look that litho-transfers produce. It can only be done with Litho-Transfers process.

It is a different type of printing.

Today, Digital transfers and DTG full color printing can emmulate it but it's NOT the real thing. It looks and feels different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.