T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :)

I have so many questions, that I need help with I thought it might be better to bullet point :)

1. To transfer an image on to a 100% cotton T-shirt what ink do I use? (I keep seeing sublimation everywhere, but have read that is to be used on man made fabric ?
  2. What type of transfer paper do I use with the above (sublimation & non sublimation)for light & dark fabric.
  3. To transfer on to mugs etc same question as above really what ink and what transfer paper.
I have my heat transfer equipment and a cutter on the way, My printers I have HP designjet 5000, HP laserjet 5500 and an Epson Stylus sx600FW with std ink.

what other equipment do I require ie an ink system.

Many thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
There is more..but to start, sublimation requires specialized inks and will only work well on 100% polyester fabrics. To print transfers for white (or pastels) 100% cotton you need transfer paper for lights, I like JPSS (Jet Pro Soft Stretch). These type transfers are best done with pigmented type ink. This type ink is more color fast than dye type inks. To transfer on dark shirts, you need to print on paper for darks. I don't know what to tell you here, because I don't like any of them for the way they feel. You may also want to buy ready made plastisol transfers from someone like Proworld. These are transfers made by screenprinting and then bringing them to a dry state so they can be shipped and still be transferred using a heat press.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have in the past used std epson ink to use the amateur iron on transfer paper, is std ink suitable for heat transfer ? if not an even sillier question which also applies to sublimation my epson is used for everday paper print, can i do normal print with sublimation or dye ink loaded ?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not really, if i load sublimation ink into the printer for the use on mugs, plates and man made fabric printing, can the same sublimation ink also be used for standard printing on paper?

from what i have read if i also want to transfer onto 100% cotton i have to use another type of ink ? which i need another printer for ?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my intention is to print onto 100% cotton T-shirts and mugs, plates and caps ... the printers i have are HP laserjet 5500 loaded with std toner, epson sx600FW loaded with epson original ink, hp designjet 5000 loaded with original Dye ink

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sublimation ink is sublimation ink..made for that purpose and not for printing on regular paper..it's wayyyy too expensive for that also. Check out this link also Epson Inkjet Sublimation Printers I don't do sublimation, but if I were going to get into it, I would go with a Richo GX7000 gel system. Epson's have a reputation of being very troublesome.

You have a laser printer..check on using media that uses laser toner instead of inks. You can transfer on to hard goods and shirts with laser printer output. Take a look at the laser paper available from vendors like Joto and Coastal Business
http://jotopaper.com/

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, thank you this opens up more what I want, less fuss messing with inks etc ...

a couple of Q's though.

what is CL that the site refers to several times ?

also my laserjet is HP 5500 with standard toner the site makes reference to oil based and non oil based ? any ideas what mine is ...

Im a fully trained graphic and web designer, but print and transfers I feel like a real lamer lol again all your help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also Ive just had a thought, I will mainly be using vinyl on T-shirts, but will be doing the odd image transfers ... The question I now have is ...

If i'm using vinyl can I print onto the vinyl as a medium ???

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am pretty sure your HP laser printer is not oiless.

CL= Color Laser I presume (opposed to just one that prints monochrome)

No, wrong kind of vinyl. Special transfer vinyl is required for shirts. Be advised that sign vinyl isn't the same and WON'T work for heat transfers. There are exceptions to this, but you don't have a $20,000 printer.

·
Registered
869 Posts
No, laser printers do not use ink..they use TONER. The term oiless goes to the method that the printer uses internally for fixing the toner. Technical stuff there..look it up. Laser printing uses heat as part of the process of getting the toner to adhere to the paper. You will sometimes see the term Laser Toner Sublimation or OEM toner transfer..by that they mean that the toner that comes with the printer (or "original equipment manufacturer") will work for transfers. When this first started beginning to be popular, the only printers it would work with were oiless. I can do it with an Okidata and also a Minolta printer. It works pretty well on ceramics, wood etc. To do mugs, you can use a regular ceramic mug and not one that has been coated for dye sublimation. You still have to have a mug press or wraps in order to heat the thing up and put it under pressure to transfer the toner. Downside is, that is not as durable and dishwasher safe as dye sub.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive found this re my Hp laserjet 5500 ...

"integrated release agent to enable “oil-less” fusing"

So I take it its an oil less machine ?

Also on another note re vinyl

what is the difference between stretch and Flock ... and what would you use each on :)

Thanks again for all the help :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts