T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently set up my first three color job (my own design), and used Versatex 331 Gold and 302 Yellow, simply because somebody told me these babies have a very soft feel, can be applied thinly to dark fabric, and the yellow is slightly translucent, allowing some gold shimmer to shine through (gold is the base layer). The first two test squares looked great.

Then the ink began to dry... on the mesh!!!

So much for Versatex. Company has yet to return my email. They have an additive which allows the inks to retain moisture, but I'm really through with them. It'ss a good thing it wasn't a paying job.

Of course, I'm still in the trial phase, testing out inks and effects (though the translucent golden yellow over gold was a ****ing awesome combo).

My question is: is there a good "gold" plastisol ink out there with soft feel, and a good translucent plastisol out there?

·
Registered
274 Posts
we have Rutland Jewel Tone "topaz gold" and i love it. metallic flakes but it's not glittery, super elastic and shiney. love love love it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i've used 60 all the way up to 120.

the 60 looks great and deposits a nice thick, uniform coat ...as long as you're not looking for a lot of detail.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm trying to understand this. The ink you were using was plastisol and it was drying in your screen? That doesn't sound right.

Do you happend to have only one station on your press? And were you flashing? IF this was palstisol and was hardening in the screen, maybe your platen was getting too hot. With a one station press, you need to let it cool, or the heat from the platen will cure the ink in the screen.

I don't think I'd be so quick to blame the ink manufacturer. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oops, my bad. I've never worked with waterbased inks, so I'll shut up now. :)

But, I do use Union Ultrasoft inks. If you run that through a high mesh, you can achieve a pretty nice hand.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Whoa!

110 should be plenty low. In fact, that's too low if you're looking for a soft hand.

What color tees are you printing on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts