T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what dpi do you guys use in versaworks to print decals. i printed some at 300 dpi. just wondering if i should go higher. the decals are about 4"x4" with some gradients. they came out a bit grainy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have never printed anything over 300dpi. Can you give us more info on your print set-up (vinyl used, which profile, etc)?

Eric :cool:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a roland versacamm 54sp. i used Orajet 3651 gloss. i forgot what profile i used. i believe it was something like gloss printable vinyl, not to sure. which one should i use:confused:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Check and see what Roland calls their wrap material, otherwise, I think Generic Vinyl 1 would be fine. Make sure to use High Quality printing, might want to print a head test too, although I've had virtually no clogs on my SP300 cept for when the ink pump or something went out.

Edit: Thought 3651 was OraCal's wrap material, but it's 3951, I'd say just use Generic Vinyl 1

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have a question on this also, when I print vector everything is fine, but what about a photo? I printed a photo of my cabin to put on a coroplast to see what it would look like, a little pixeled, also used a sample photo from the computer library for a banner and same thing, up close doesn't look great but a few feet away looks fine.
Any help here would be great as well

Thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have printed out graphics as low as 72DPI but it depends on what use they are for and where they are to be viewed. Most graphics should be printed at a minimum of 72PDI for viewing at 6 to 8 ft away to be clear. anything lower than that you will be grainy. The 72DPI I have done is for car wraps. Viewed at 6 ft away, they look awesome. When you get up next to them you can see some grainy areas. In versaworks you can change some of the print settings but it is dependant on what you have imported in. ie; if I save a picture file at 72DPI and then use high quality photo paper settings in versaworks to print at 1440 x 1440, it will still look like crap at it is just putting down more ink for that same 72DPI image. Make sure that if the origanal file is not vector, that you have the correct DPI settings prior to importing into versaworks. I have customers supply web graphics at 42DPI all the time and they want it blown up 1000% to print on a banner and don't understand why it doesn't look great. We went so far as to take one of those images and resize it to several different DPI settigns and printed them out overlapped on a banner with all the info so I cna show the customers when they come into the shop. Seeing it right there makes all the difference. Let me know if any of this helps and I would be happy to look at any specific file you have and try to help out more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts