T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in starting a t-shirt and garment printing business and am currently researching DTG machines vs. traditional Screen Printing machines. Can anyone out there attest to running an efficient and profitable business with quality printed shirts with ONLY a DTG printer? Is this a good idea? It would be nice to just use a DTG if possible.

Also, in my research, the best printers seem to be the Veloci-Jet, Neoflex and T-Jet Blazer Pro. At least that is what I find to be some of the best ones in the price range that I am looking for (15-20k). Is there anyone out there that has used or seen all of these printers in action and can attest to their quality, efficiency, and ease of use. I am brand new to the business, so there will be a learning curve regardless. Thanks in advance!

Pura vida,
Ryan

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have done a good job researching DTG printers if you have narrowed down your choices to include the Veloci-Jet. We went through the same challenge the first of this year. I'm so glad we chose the Veloci-Jet as our entry into the DTG business. Not only is the build quality of the machine top notch, it produces exceptional quality prints and service AFTER the sale is outstanding, too. The learning curve has been easier than we expected and produced a nice profitable job the first week of owning the machine. Routine maintenance only takes us about 10 minutes per day and is very straight forward. I'm also pleased with the low ink cost. Some full chest sized prints are only using .25 to .30 worth of ink. Of coarse when printing white ink the cost is more, but still very profitable. We charge an up-charge for any design that uses white ink, so our profit margin is even better. We also bought the SpeedTreater to pre treat our garments. We pre-treat all shirts prior to printing. We like the additional "pop" of color pre-treating gives. The cost of light color pre-treatment is low and we add it to the cost of the shirt anyway. We want our customers to get the best look possible, so we don't cut any corners.

Best of luck to you on your quest choosing your DTG printer. If you end up with the Veloci-Jet, I'm sure you will be as pleased as we are.:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am patiently waiting for my Veloci Jet..:) (prepaid on Monday) The auto pretreater was not in my budget, so i'll have to do it by hand for now.. I care about high quality prints, so thanks for the info on pretreating on lights. I hadn't even thought about that..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses....

From everything that I have read, the veloci-jet sounds like it gets great feedback on this forum. I haven't heard too much about the neoflex, so I would love any feedback on that from anyone that owns or has owned one. I am still going through the research and it is making my head spin at times. Who out there has gone through all of this work and research to find their perfect machine, and are you happy with your decision?

Also, can these machines print on organic cotton, bamboo and hemp material shirts? Has anyone used the veloci-jet or neo-flex for printing on these types of shirts? Do they require special ink or pre-treatment?

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for the responses....

Also, can these machines print on organic cotton, bamboo and hemp material shirts? Has anyone used the veloci-jet or neo-flex for printing on these types of shirts? Do they require special ink or pre-treatment?

Thanks!
Ryan
AFAIK, organic cotton is fine. I think the general recommendation is that the shirt should not have below a 90% cotton content, or the inks can flake off. Not sure about bamboo & hemp..

I don't think is there is a special set of inks for garments. (If you are getting into imprintables such as golf balls and tiles, maybe.) All of the Epson based printers pretty much use the same Dupont inks for garments..

·
Registered
51 Posts
100% cotton is best, but we have not had any problems with blends of 50% cotton or more. We pretreat as well. Be sure the aprons are NOT treated with a stain release like teflon. Also make sure the pretreat is BONE DRY or the ink will smear or run. Also, sometimes we do a double pass to get nice rich colors. If in doubt, do some samples on different fabrics and wash them several times at home so you can show your customers how different fabric blends hold up. Go for it.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Ryan,
All cars have own purpose. some are cheap, some are fast, some are relaible, some are safe. Velocijet is good NeoFlex also good.
You have to find out yourself below list.
1. What engine Mfg used? go to www.epson.com and learn the differences between 4880 and 1900.
2. What is image area?
3. How long machine will last?
4. How ofter error code pop out? (read this forum)
5. Warranty. Guarantee.
6. Service: All American and EqmtZone seems like carry best service at this point. If you have chance visit NeoFlex forum also.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
100% cotton is best, but we have not had any problems with blends of 50% cotton or more. We pretreat as well. Be sure the aprons are NOT treated with a stain release like teflon. Also make sure the pretreat is BONE DRY or the ink will smear or run. Also, sometimes we do a double pass to get nice rich colors. If in doubt, do some samples on different fabrics and wash them several times at home so you can show your customers how different fabric blends hold up. Go for it.

Ed has a very good point about test printing and washing any material that you have some doubt about, especially if you're just starting out. After you gain some experience printing you will be able to have a good feel for what will print well.

Harry
Equipment Zone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts