T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I did see this at the top of the page.
The GNU Image Manipulation Program, or GIMP, is a raster graphics editor application with some support for vector graphics.
Some support for vector graphics seems to be the issue. Id does state that it can save postscript files.
PS and eps files. eps looks to be your best bet. Whether or not spreadshirt can use im not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluid said:
Whether or not spreadshirt can use im not sure.
Well, this is what is weird. I submitted the same graphic at least 5 times. The first four, it was rejected for insufficient (<.06in) line widths. I finally figured out how to "stroke" the lines in GIMP, saved and submitted, and now it's comlaining that "must be in contours (in Corel Draw) and/or in paths (in Adobe Illustrator and Freehand)."

So, I think the GIMP can do it - I'm hoping for someone who could give me a step-by-step. Or, say right out "not possible".

MjM

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
We use gimp in a very limited way. We have not been able to get the vector images and Corel X3 does it very nicely. You can get Corel for about $100 on ebay. PM me for the contact for this product if you want go that way.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I haven't personally used GIMP much, but I was under the impression it was primarily (if not entirely) for raster graphics, and NOT for vector.

I think there are some free sources to produce vector images, however - try searching the forums for such. www.inkscape.org was one, though I haven't personally used that one either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Twinge said:
I haven't personally used GIMP much, but I was under the impression it was primarily (if not entirely) for raster graphics, and NOT for vector.

I think there are some free sources to produce vector images, however - try searching the forums for such. www.inkscape.org was one, though I haven't personally used that one either.
Bingo! Thanks everyone so much for the help.

I really didn't understand the difference between bitmap and vector until now. Quite simply, in a vector image editor, the image should never break down into pixels when zoomed to the maximum level. This is probably common knowledge for y'all, but for me it was a revelation. Hallelujah.

As I've said before, in the past I've always submitted graphics for printing using india ink, tracing paper and rubylith.

Years ago I had used Corel Draw for a bit, without really understanding what I was doing, but never for submission to a printer.

I've reworked my design yet again using inkscape, and resubmitted to Spreadshirt. Based on what I've read in the forum there, it should be accepted.

Best of all, Inkscape http://www.inkscape.org is Free/Open Source Software and runs on Linux - things that are dear to my heart. :)

On top of that, with this new tool (it looks just like Corel Draw used to) and my new understanding, I should be able to create some pretty nifty graphics.

MjM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.