T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you tell printers the size you want an image printed when it is a vector file.

Say, for example, you've completed a design in PhotoShop in raster (obviously) at A3 size, then converted it into vector in Illustrator. It can now be resized up or down to any extent without affecting resolution. However, how do you get the Illustrator vector file to be the same A3 size as the PhotoShop original?

Or do you just tell the printer the dimensions you want the print to be and they resize the vector image accordingly themselves??

This query must seem goddamn ignorant - and it is! Just want to get it right to at least posture as half competent technically when it comes to having my designs printed!

·
2,957 Posts
I just tell them exactly the size I want it.

If you know the dimensions, then it shouldn't be a problem for them to just print it in those dimensions if you supply them with a vector file.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Or do you just tell the printer the dimensions you want the print to be and they resize the vector image accordingly themselves??
Yes, generally you would tell the printer "I would like the design to be 10 inches across (or 25.4 centimeters ;))" and they will resize it accordingly.

You can also send a printer a high resolution photoshop PSD file. If your file is high resolution (300dpi), then it's very likely that the printer will be able to make it the size you need it to be (or do the vector conversion on their side if it needs to be slightly larger).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts