T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I recently had a individual approach my son about printing shirts for his Hobby stock dirt track car, I have a design made up but I am having a HUGE problem getting a vector car done up, does anyone know of ANY sites where I could purchase a vector graphic of a hobby stock car, I purchased one from extreamclipart but modifying it to look right is a pain in the A$$.

thanks in advance.

Jake

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I had some photos of Cushman scooters done by Artworksource.com. They made some realistic vector files for me and I think they only charged me about $25. Oh, and they had them back to me within 24 hours. You may want to check them out. As a matter of fact the avator on my shirt was one of the ones done by them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To get a car exactly the way you need it may take creating a line drawing of the car and vectorizing it yourself (using vector conversion in AICS2 or an old version of Streamline). Then you know it's exactly what you are needing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Bmart, Love your work. I am trying to acheive the same look as the Matt Emerick artwork. No problems with the backgrounds etc but i have no idea how to get the car from a photo to what you have as a line drawing with shading etc. The customer has supplied me with a pic. I am a fair bit fluent with photoshop and Illustrator. Any help would help immensely

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you tried the Live Trace (or live paint, cant remember) in Illustrator? That seems to be the easiest option in my limited knowledge. Or you could pen tool the entire picture like we had to do in an art class one time...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes used the pen tool, the trace tool and streamline but it does not give the effect of actually drawing the car. Bmart, so you draw the lot in illustrator?
Somebody told me they do it in Photoshop as it has more brushes like air brush, etc? But how can you do a photoshop file as a screenprint unless you are using it as a heat transfer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes used the pen tool, the trace tool and streamline but it does not give the effect of actually drawing the car. Bmart, so you draw the lot in illustrator?
Somebody told me they do it in Photoshop as it has more brushes like air brush, etc? But how can you do a photoshop file as a screenprint unless you are using it as a heat transfer.
How are you drawing with the pen tool? Here's how I believe it is done.

1. Draw the shape of the car body. One large shape.
2. Draw the different spots that have shading/highlights. Start with the large ones, work to the small ones. As you can see with bmart333's he uses gradients as well as solid fills to achieve the correct look of the highlights.

When you start getting to the small highlights, it will start to look more and more realistic. Check out bmart's chrysler 300m. You can pick out each different shape if you look close. If you check out his, you can determine how detailed you must go to achieve the correct look. In class we did this process on a human face. Its all about looking past the entire shape of objects and finding the highlights/shadows. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts