T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy some used equipment. I have done a few searches and have only found one person selling this brand stuff, so wondered if you guys could help me value it.

A Harco/Brown 6/6 press (MP-666).

A Harco conveyor dryer that needs tension adjustment but works fine. Older, but big. Looks like a Sierra on their website, except control panel is on the side.

Harco/Brown flash dryer FFA-2020 I believe, with foot pedal and automatic operation.

A brown singlepoint exposure system

about 15 screens, some squeegees and ink.

Retail on all the stuff is like $17k. What would you guys price it all used?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I don't know if Harco was bought out by Brown, or manufactured by Brown for Harco originally, but they haven't been made under that label for awhile. Not everyone is enamoured with Brown equipment, anyway, but I know that they've made graphic arts cameras and exposure equipment for ages (my old man bought a offset printing shop in 1967 that had a Brown horizontal camera and it was old then). That said, I have seen posts by people that used Harco presses and thought they were okay. Anyhoo, as far as used equipment goes, here's my take on this batch:
If the press is reasonably clean, no broken parts, things seem tight, and it has micros, maybe $2500. Much more money than that and you can find a newer used press that is good.

If the dryer is old, even if it's big, I would say $1500 to $2000 tops. Unless you need a big dryer, once you're past $2000, you can start to find a decent, small dryer that's new or almost new. Old ones will sometimes have problems with burnt wires and other components crapping out (especially if the controls are on top) that aren't necessarily expensive to fix if you can do it yourself, but turn a cheap dryer into and expensive one if you have to get an electrician to sort it out.

The flash dryer, unless it's almost new, $500. The automatic feature seems like a good deal, and I almost bought one for my Vastex flash, but truthfully, I wouldn't use it that much. I wouldn't pay a lot extra for one. If the flash is 20"x20", though, that's good.

The exposure unit. If it's a metal halide, and it's in good shape, vacuum blanket not torn, gaskets not torn, glass not cracked, it's probably worth $2000 or a little more. If it's quartz halogen, I wouldn't give more than $1000 for it, and then just for the framework, vacuum and top. I'd refit it with a metal halide light.

The frames, squeegies, etc. If the frames aren't retensionables, they're almost worthless except for something to get some practice with if you're new at this. The ink and squeegies, maybe $50 if the ink is still creamy and there's a lot of it. Frankly, when I bought the two used presses I've had, the sellers threw in all that crap just to get it out of their garage. I've gotten buckets of good ink, a spot removing gun and fluid, screen cleaning chemicals and a couple of squeegies for nothing.

A rule of thumb on used equipment is one-half to two-thirds of the new price, and that's if the stuff is in good shape, depending on how old the stuff is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts