T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built their own vacuum pallet before? If so do you have any photo's or info you could supply me with.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you ever end up making your own vacuum platen? I have also been looking for DIY plans. The local home improvement store sells hard pvc pegboard. I was thinking you could attach it to plywood with a hole in the plywood fitted for a shop vac hose. Since the pegboard is plastic it would facilitate easy loading/removal of coroplast, etc. What do you think?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm building one myself but still haven't had time to finish it as we are a busy.

That will work. I'm using 2 pieces of plastic, top one with the holes and then a spacer all round then the next piece of plastic for the bottom piece. I will bond all these together and then place a hole in the bottom piece of plastic for my shop vac. Also going to build a foot pedal for an on off switch. Wont be to hard.. I think HAHA

·
Registered
174 Posts
I built one from plexiglas plates with a spacer and a shop vac on a foot switch... Platen bracket to fit my press..
Start with small holes that are spaced out evenly. Drill more small holes if needed. Open them up more a little at a time if needed. Remember that a shop vac has gotta suck some air in to work. Do not block all the holes. Use tape to block some holes if ya get too many.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
one way of doing this is.
1.make yourself a wooden frame the size of the platen you wish to make.
2. glue a piece of 12mm mdf on the bottom side with a hole the diameter of the hosepipe of the vacum cleaner.
3. on the other side glue a piece of plexiglass.
4.cover the plexiglass with graph paper,and drill 3mm holes every 4cms checker board. ( the use of the paper is just to make the holes neat)
do not make the holes too big as the suction could effect the levelness of the paper.
5.seal off the sides of the frame and the hosepipe with tape or preferebly silicone.
6. and the best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Wormil,

That looks pretty cool. I guess I have to buy it to see how it works. It looks like the hollowed out the MDF cause the board looks pretty thin.

I don't care what they did as long as it works. The price is like $100, plus $15 for shipping.

They recommend a Footswitch from Woodcraft, but Harbor Freight has it cheaper. Like $14.

Flash I couldn't see yours or understand where to find what the forum was talking about. Looks like it has some interesting topics that I'd like to revisit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
selanac,

You are absolutely correct about the construction of our vacuum platens. I keep the MDF a full 3/4" thick except for a couple 1/8" deep channels and v-grooves. I then use a void-less plywood that's about 3/16" thick to "cap" the back and create that vacuum chamber. The back and the vacuum port are glued with silicon and screwed on.

Just thought I'd take the guessing out of the construction. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
3 layers all 1/4", top and bottom cut to same size, top piece has holes drilled all the way through, bottom piece has a hole for vacuum and the middle piece will be flush to the top and bottom's outside edge. Middle could be made from four 5/8"x1/4" rip's or be cut out of one piece in the shape of a frame.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You might want to look for polycarbonate instead of plexi (acrylic).

Plexiglass is VERY easy to crack where as polycarbonate is hard to break even if you try.:)

Or UHMW is a good plastic and cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes. I can create a mounting area in the middle of the platen that will be more then large enough for a bracket.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts