T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
searched the forums using key words "vinyl as emulsion" and "vinyl emulsion" & can't find a thread for this, so here i am.

anyone ever tried it? i've read on other sites it's ok (NOT GREAT) for short runs only.

if it's possible, what kind? i've read just intermediate. but what color? a dark one? what side? everything else still the same?

thanks in advance,
crys

·
Registered
985 Posts
Look for vinyl stencil in the search box, there are many threads about it. Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
it does work, but like you said...short runs only and its not great. Also make sure you take the vinyl off of the screen right after you're done with your last print. Otherwise the ink reacts with the glue and its a royal pain to wash out!

if you decide to try it you'll cut the image in reverse and stick it to the back side of the screen (the part closest to the platen). good luck!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Try the Ulano knife cut film (green film). You can cut it on your plotter, weed it like vinyl and it adhears the the screen with sta-sharp fluid from Ulano. Once you stick the film, peel the clear carrier sheet and then just tape off the screen like any emulsion. I use it and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I and my partner use Oracal 641 sign vinyl, and cut it with a Roland GX-24 plotter. As stated above, cut the mirror image (flip horizontally in your graphics editing program) and stick it to the print side of the screen. Works perfectly for me up to about 50 shirts before it starts to peel off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried oracal vinyl but it wouldnt stick to the screen, does it have to be a certain type of screen material?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Just in case the link does not get you there, the video is on the US Cutter website in the forum section. Scroll down to instructional contributions and click on the topic silk screening with vinyl. Not sure if you have to be logged in to see it though but if so it will only take a few seconds.

veedub3

·
Registered
193 Posts
I tried oracal vinyl but it wouldnt stick to the screen, does it have to be a certain type of screen material?
Try a good degreaser on your screens before applying the vinyl, and make sure you really press hard when applying it - a squeegee or scrap audio CD works well.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
the guy on video applies vinyl on squeegee side..does it matter which side?
I don't use vinyl stencils, so take this with a grain of salt. But here's why I wouldn't do that,

1) You want the squeegee to travel across the mesh smoothly, and this interferes with that.
2) I think it would inhibit transfer of ink slightly.
3) The abrasion of squeegee on vinyl increases the likelihood of peeling up the vinyl.

On the other hand, he might do it because,

1) This way the ink doesn't interfere with the adhesive and cause the stencil to fall off.
2) He accidentally forgot to cut the stencil in reverse and didn't want to throw out perfectly good weeded vinyl.
3) He never thought to do it the other way.

When I've used other forms of stencil resist (e.g. paper), I've put it substrate side, not squeegee side. I'm sure both can work, but that doesn't mean one isn't better than the other.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't use vinyl stencils, so take this with a grain of salt. But here's why I wouldn't do that,

1) You want the squeegee to travel across the mesh smoothly, and this interferes with that.
2) I think it would inhibit transfer of ink slightly.
3) The abrasion of squeegee on vinyl increases the likelihood of peeling up the vinyl.

On the other hand, he might do it because,

1) This way the ink doesn't interfere with the adhesive and cause the stencil to fall off.
2) He accidentally forgot to cut the stencil in reverse and didn't want to throw out perfectly good weeded vinyl.
3) He never thought to do it the other way.

When I've used other forms of stencil resist (e.g. paper), I've put it substrate side, not squeegee side. I'm sure both can work, but that doesn't mean one isn't better than the other.

That's what I thought before too. I put the vinyl on the substrate side and tried a few prints and it seems that the ink likes to seep in between the vinyl and the printing surface (shirt.) I couldn't figure it out. And so I think they put the vinyl on the squeegee side and the prints seem to print out crisp that way. Just thought I 'd let you know of my experience with that technique. :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ulano Amba Water Stencil this stuff is awesome.

Thank you, but unfortunately, Ulano killed UlanoCUT Amba last December so any remaining stocks will expire December 2008.

We still make the much more popular UlanoCUT Green.
UlanoCUT Green water adhering - solvent resisting Knife Cut Film

UlanoCUT Green is applied with water, so it is resistant to solvent based inks.

Sta-Sharp S3S is applied with Sta-Sharp Adhering Liquid which is a blend of solvents so the film doesn't dissolve too fast. Since it is adhered with solvents, it is used for water based inks.

Consider the ink you use, if you do choose to use vinyl, because the clean up chemical and ink will attach the vinyl adhesive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
what type of vinyl do u use and how did you get the vinyl to stay on your screen? the reason am asking is becos it not working for me

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If properly done there is NO problem printing 100 shirts with this method.

-degrease the screen and let fully dry
-use a GOOD vinyl, best I have found is 3M 7725 on a clear liner
-Mirror cut the vinyl
-apply on shirt side (use a squeegee just like you would apply a decal)
-tape off and print away
-clean up asap, because the longer you wait the more of a pain it get to be

I printed almost the first 2 years like this with ZERO problems. I still use it some when it is a basic job and I need to make a screen quick.

Also don't plan on changing colors, because the ink cleaner will make the vinyl fall off.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Troy are you printing with plastisol or water based,,,?
I use water based,, and find it to hold up to 25 prints,,,, and then start to release,,
It might be a water base thing but i am glad to get 25 pulls out of it,, instead of burning screens,,

Thanks

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Troy are you printing with plastisol or water based,,,?
I use water based,, and find it to hold up to 25 prints,,,, and then start to release,,
It might be a water base thing but i am glad to get 25 pulls out of it,, instead of burning screens,,

Thanks
Plastisol... I am shocked you can get 25 out of it with waterbased. I tried graphic ink once and got 1 print... Haha.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts