T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i use sublimation ink on 100% cotton? ive been told that i cant only 100% poly, is this true. they told me i had to use durablast ink's. let me know because i was gonna buy the epson 1400, but it only takes sublimation ink and not durablast. enlighten me!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
sublimation ink...is a special ink..and it will NOT work on cotton...and just barely work with 65/35 blend. It requires 100% polyester in white or some pastels..Reason is the ink on specail paper is turned into a gas by the heat and the pressure forces the gas into the garment where it bonds with the polyester fiber..what is on the coton fibers will wash out badly...

I use the 1400 for sublimation. It comes with claria ink which Espon describes as water resistant. It is not a pigment ink as most like to use in ordinary transfer. Some members have used Claria ink with JPSS paper.. I have not...So in short you can use the 1400 for other than sublimaton...do a search and you will find a long thread on using the 1400 and Claria ink...but you can also buy pigment ink in either carts or CIS

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
CIS...is continious ink supply...a bulk system...makes the ink cost less per transfer...but the hardware do do this would be 150-300 USD...and ink separate.. check with any of the vendors on here about pricing.. Whether or not you can print on dark shirts is not dependent on the printer but on the transfer paper you are using...such as Iron All for Dark..or similiar...again...check with the vendors here as to what papers they have for dark...personally I have not found any that I will use for commercial purposes..if I have an order for print on dark...I outsource to a DTG (direct to garment) operator..

·
Registered
372 Posts
if my memory serves me right... i think you can sublimate on 100% cotton now. all you have to do is spray it with that polymer chemical first.

i can't find now where I read it and there's also a website that sells the chemical.
i hope somebody will post it here.. especially the website address.
i haven't tried it myself but if i find that source again i might give a try.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
the spray only puts a polymer base on the garment and it will not hold up to washing...I have been doing sublimation for almost 8 years and I have yet to find a spray or poilymer patch that I will use commercially...This method does not change the fibers of the cotton..only puts a transfer ON TOP of the garment and not fused...you would be better off to use something like JPSS ....it will be cheaper and will last longer than the spray on method..

·
Registered
372 Posts
the spray only puts a polymer base on the garment and it will not hold up to washing...I have been doing sublimation for almost 8 years and I have yet to find a spray or poilymer patch that I will use commercially...This method does not change the fibers of the cotton..only puts a transfer ON TOP of the garment and not fused...you would be better off to use something like JPSS ....it will be cheaper and will last longer than the spray on method..
JPSS? is there a site where I can get more info about this, Charles? thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
i think you can sublimate on 100% cotton now. all you have to do is spray it with that polymer chemical first.
On being the operative word: it's the polymer that gets sublimated, and not the cotton.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
On being the operative word: it's the polymer that gets sublimated, and not the cotton.
I totally aree with you Lewis the key word is "on". I have seen people use dye sub ink with transfer paper and it will print and adhere to cotton or 50/50 garments. The issue is as the poly coating is washed away so is the ink. The ink doesn't permeate the shirt fibers, just the poly coating. The answer to the question is yes it can be done, but it won't last past the poly coating. .... JB

·
Registered
675 Posts
No, you can not sublimate to a 100% cotton shirt. You can sublimate to a 50/50 blend shirt. But, it must be a shirt that is specifically designed for sublimation. The shirt will poly. on the OUTSIDE and cotton on the INSIDE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, you can not sublimate to a 100% cotton shirt. You can sublimate to a 50/50 blend shirt. But, it must be a shirt that is specifically designed for sublimation. The shirt will poly. on the OUTSIDE and cotton on the INSIDE.
Hi,
I have tshirt that I screen printed with a liquid so now I can print a sublimation ink on a tshirt cotton.
It works well and sell very well in here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes, sublimation on cotton is possible.
i already tri it too, but still only on white tees
or light colour tees.
i still looking for how to make sublimation on dark colour tees.
the result of the transfer proses was good.
it is better than using transfer paper.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I hate to be rude and argumentative BUT...YOU CANNOT SUBLIMATE COTTON...sublimation is the process...(damn I am tired to typing this) where the gas created by heat permeates the material (100% poluyester) and bonds with the fiber...thus becoming part of the garment...any thing else...using spray (only puts coating ON the garment) is temporary at best...do this and wash 25 times...it will fade and wash out because it is ON the garment not bonded. Sublimation ink will not bond with cotton...it just sets on top...period.. I have been doing sublimation for over 9 years and I have yet to see any change..Until someone that says they sublimate cotton can show me different...I stand by my comments

I am not aware you can dye any black garment to say...a pale blue....if so ...show me

·
Registered
279 Posts
As many of you who have said you can use sublimation ink with 100% cotton useing a spray or a polymer sheet. But it will not be the same as using it with a polly product. But the question is why? Spraying is an extra step. More time. More money. The price of sub ink vs pigment ink and JPSS. Every wonder why sublimation products are priced higher the others?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts